error code 5

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

error code 5

Postby kantoborgy » Sep 21 05 11:41 am

Dear all,

When I try connect from a client software, the following message

Unable to connect using SSL error code 5

On the client and on the server the firewall is desactived
kantoborgy

Postby adrien » Sep 21 05 12:17 pm

Have you been using WinGate VPN for a while?

We found if the X.509 certificate on the server expires, you get this error.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby kantoborgy » Sep 21 05 12:22 pm

The vpn version is 6.0.4 ,
How I can check if the certificate is expired? I try in the server without certificate
kantoborgy

Postby MattP » Sep 21 05 1:16 pm

You should see a message on the network tab when you expand the VPN. You can also check the server certificates menu on the system tab in GateKeeper, double click the certificate and you'll see the expiry date.

If the certificate is still valid could you please check your VPN log? You may need to turn on debug logging, but you should see a reason in the debug log that explains why you can't connect.
MattP
Qbik Staff

Postby kantoborgy » Sep 21 05 1:38 pm

Thanks a lot, the connection is up.
But now, int he client software where I can put the statical ip to stablish a connection with the others computers, for example shared folders o data base access, in the remote network. I can make a ping to the ip public of my vpn server, but I can not make a ping to the any internal computer on the remote network where my vpn server is working.

my vpn sever have two ip address one public and other private, and I Want to access to the private ips from my vpn client.

the dhcp is disabled in the vpn server, then I need put one statical ip in my vpn client
kantoborgy

Postby MattP » Sep 21 05 2:14 pm

So you've successfully connected to the VPN?

If you look in the network tab on the remote joiner can you expand the VPN out and see the machines at the host side?

If you can do this, please check the published routes, do you see an error message about a conflict there? If so, you'll need to change your IP addresses at one end of the VPN, you must be on a different IP subnet to the host location.

If you don't see a conflict error message then please check that the network adapters are set correctly at each end of the VPN. On the network tab you should see your network adapters listed, the LAN adapter should be marked as internal and the internet adapter should be marked as external.

You should also make sure that any firewalls running on the WinGate VPN host machine (such as the XP SP2 firewall) are disabled.
MattP
Qbik Staff

Postby kantoborgy » Sep 21 05 5:28 pm

...........So you've successfully connected to the VPN?

yes

............If you look in the network tab on the remote joiner can you expand the VPN out and see the machines at the host side?

yes, I can see the host machine and my machine says is not accessible

in the host the network adapter with non public ip is internal and the interface eoth public adapter is external. the ip host is 65.x.71.165 and the private is 92.x.3.1 . In the vpn client the ip is 209.x.85.69

I can make aping from client to host , but whe the connection is up I can not make a ping to the 192.168.3.1
kantoborgy

Postby jamesc » Sep 21 05 8:15 pm

the private is 92.168.3.1

You may have problems in the future using that address on your LAN. it is a public IP address reserved by Internet Assigned Numbers Authority; see http://www.arin.net/whois/ for more details.
Private IP ranges typically begin with 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x

1. Anyway... Can you confirm that you have checked Matts suggestion about network adapters?

The network card pointing towards the LAN should be marked as "Internal" and the network card / modem pointing towards the internet should be marked as "External", as shown in the image below. (GateKeeper --> View Menu --> Network)

2. Can you confirm that if the "Not Accessible" computer is Windows XP SP2 or Win2003... that the Windows Firewall is turned off

On your desktop, right click My Computer
Manage
Services and Applications
Services
Scroll down to bottom and double click "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)"
Set the Startup type to disabled
Stop the service
Apply

3) Do you have any other kind of security suite running on the "Not Accessible" computer.. Nortons / Mc Affee, ZoneLarm etc...

4. On the computer shown as Not Accessible, where does its Gateway point to?
a) The WinGate VPN server, or your router?
b) If it is not pointing to the WinGateVPN server, then you will need to run the RIP2 Client on it.... So information that comes down the "VPN tunnel" is returned to the tunnel; not out the default gateway.
The Qbik RIP 2 utility can be downloaded from here: http://downloads.qbik.com/qbiknz2/downl ... client.zip
*** Please note, the RIP2 client does not need to be installed on machines running the VPN Software, just the participants. If you need more clarification about this; please advise.

Please let us know how you get on, and if you need more assistance, we would be glad to help.
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN