Testing the VPN in our county

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Testing the VPN in our county

Postby bsteen » Sep 23 05 4:19 am

Hello,

I will soon be deploying and testing your VPN software within our county network. I currently have 2 outside locations that I need to allow access to the financial server here at the Courthouse.

Location one is our Sheriff's Office and Location two is our County Highway office, both of those offices use the same high speed internet provider while the Courthouse here uses a different provider.

The financial software that I need to allow them to use is a server based package that requires installing client software on each PC that will be allowed to use the package, after the workstation setup, which includes mapping of network drives etc, an icon is created to allow them access to the server.

All three sites use a NON STATIC IP address from the internet providers. two sites (Sheriff and highway) use IP addresses in the 192.168.1.* -- here at the courthouse we have 192.168.0.*

Within the courthouse ALL IP's are manually assigned. Both systems at the sheriff and highway are windows XP pro, if I have to put a seperate computer in here at the courthouse it will most likly be a windows 2000 machine.

Each computer attached should be able to enter data into the financial system and print reports on their side of things.

Will your VPN software allow this to happen ? what is the best way to install this ?

thank you for your help in this matter

Bill Steen
bsteen

Postby jamesc » Sep 24 05 3:55 pm

Hi Bill,

1. It would be most desirable for the Courthouse to have its own Static Public IP address.
2. One of the Highway or Sheriff offices will need to change there subnet to something like 192.168.2.x
3. When testing, beware of the Windows firewall on XP SP2 machines, and other security suite programs like Nortons, McAfee, Zonelarm etc...
4. Use trial licenses when setting up the VPN; you will need to activate the trial after a reboot.

A step by step guide to installing WinGate VPN is available from here: http://forums.qbik.com/viewtopic.php?p=16108#16108
Please note the second image in that post (inside a big red box), and how the "Local Participation" is set; you will want it set to "Local Network"

We will probably need to send you the updated drivers as well, What Operating System will be running the VPN software (There will be one at the Court; the WinGate Host, one at the Sheriffs and one at County Highway; the WinGate Joiners)

Please also note, if the VPN Participents (not the joiner or hosts but the other computers on the lan that need to participate in the VPN) do not have thier TCP/IP Gateway set to the WinGate VPN computer (whether host or joiner) then they will need to run the Qbik RIP2 utility, which can be downloaded from here: http://downloads.qbik.com/qbiknz2/downl ... client.zip

The RIP2 utility will automatically create routes for the participents so they can access other parts of the VPN.
FYI: (For your information) If the participents did not have the RIP2 utility (or have their gateway pointing towards the VPN) ... this is what would happen.... Data would come down from the Sheriffs dept, to the courthouse to connect to the financial server, when the financial server goes to reply to the sheriff, it would be sent out the Gateway, instead of back to the VPN server and down the tunnel to the sheriff.

I would like to put in more info for you but have time restrictions today. Will probably follow up after the weekend.
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN