WinGate VPN with Verizon FiOS

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

WinGate VPN with Verizon FiOS

Postby Uballi » Sep 23 05 6:21 am

I have had a WinGate VPN setup and working via Brighthouse Cable modem. Yesterday we had Verizon setup with FiOS (2mb up/15mb down). My WinGate VPN no longer works. I did all the obvious stuff like making sure that my new subnet (from the FiOS D-Link 604 Router) was different then the server subnet. Server is 192.168.2.* and home is 172.16.0.*. If I setup with the cable modem it work when I use FiOS is does not. Which makes me think the VPN is setup somewhat correct.

When I say the FiOS does not work this is what I mean. It still connects and does create a tunnel. I can see the WinGate Server machine but the others are (not accessible but are with Cable Modem). I can even browse a couple directories on the WinGate Server machine but not very much (first level and nothing with a great deal of files in it) not sure if that's a cache problem where I can't really see it but cache shows me or its something else. Says I have a active tunnel and says the control channel is negotiated.

It works over the Cable Modem and has worked for months when I hook up to FiOS it connects but does not work the same. I guess maybe it has something to-do with Verizon FiOS using PPPoE maybe? I tried changing MTU's. Changed all the subnets a couple times. Its not a firewall issue from the WinGate Server side because nothing has changed there. I have all the standard passthroughs open on the FiOS D-Link 604 Router. I even tried opening ports 809 on the FiOS router (Client Side) which I don't think is needed. I have the ripclient installed and have had it installed since before the FiOS.

Does anyone have any ideas what else I can try or similar experiences?

I went ahead and orders a SG560 box because I really need this up fast as it is effecting my work. I just would like to know why wingate can work over the Cable modem but not the Verizon FiOS connection.

Thanks
Uballi

Postby genie » Sep 23 05 11:48 am

It might be an MTU issue - try reducing MTU on both sides of the tunnel.
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby jamesc » Sep 23 05 10:05 pm

1. So the network card pointing to the fibre connection is marked as external? GateKeeper --> View menu --> Network --> Network Connections (bottom center)

2. You might also want to try the updated drivers for 2.0.4, installation instructions are inside the ZIP; the XP drivers can also be used for Win 2003

http://www.wingate.com/downloads/driver ... rsXP2k.zip

FYI: Here are some instructions on changing the MTU.

If you are not able to ping the VPN Host, please check your MTU settings. When you are connected into the host from the joiner, you can do a small test to establish your correct MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit). If the WinGate Hosts' internal IP Address is 192.168.0.1, then from the joiner, do the following.

(Windows) Start Menu --> Run --> cmd

Code: Select all
ping -l 1500 -f 192.168.0.1

If you do not receive replys then lower the 1500 to say 1000

ping -l 1000 -f 192.168.0.1

If you do not receive replys then lower the 1000 to say 600

ping -l 600 -f 192.168.0.1

Once you start getting replys, edge the number up from 600 to say 800 etc etc... until you find your optimum setting. Once you have obtained it, download this utility: http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

And if you have a dial up connection, you must place the MTU into the red box as shown in image below. Once done, restart your computer and try to connect to your database again.

You should test back from the host to the joiner too.
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN