Intermitant connectivity on CompuServe dialup connection

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Intermitant connectivity on CompuServe dialup connection

Postby igoTtavPn » Sep 24 05 6:45 am

Hi

Anyone had a Wingate VPN joiner successfully connect to a host'er through CompuServe dial up before?

I'm trying to connect a laptop (CompuServe Dialup) up to a Wingate VPN tunnel (DSL) using port 810 for control/data; but am not having much luck

The VPN tunnel is up as another machine (Off a cable modem is connected and active)

I'm thinking that CompuServe is doing something which is hampering the connection; but not really sure

I can sometimes connect to the VPN, and sometimes not connect to the VPN.. Usually when I can't connect, it seems to be after I’ve been able to initially get the VPN connection up.

When I'm able to connect, I can ping the Host from the Joiner machine, but the connection eventually times out, and the tunnel is dropped (I was able to ping the host 10 times intermittently before the connection was dropped).. When the connection is dropped, it takes about 2-5 minutes before the VPN Host will respond again

If I telnet into the connection, it works, unless I’ve been disconnected from the tunnel, then it just times out.

All the While, I'm able to ping the host'ers IP address

Is it possible that CompuServe is doing some sort of adaptive port blocking? Has anyone run into this and have a work around for it?

Thanks

Paul
igoTtavPn

Postby igoTtavPn » Sep 24 05 6:51 am

One more thing

If I hook the laptop up by ethernet (in a different subnet than the VPN host'er) the connection works flawlessly

Paul
igoTtavPn

Postby jamesc » Oct 06 05 8:43 pm

I see no one has replied; I have sent an email to the team to see if they can review your issue.
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Postby jamesc » Oct 07 05 9:07 pm

One of my colleagues from QA, has suggested to do some MTU tests when connected via dialup.

Please see this post: http://forums.qbik.com/viewtopic.php?p=17505#17505

If you are still having issues:

What version of WinGate?
What Operating System do you use?
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN