Connection speeds

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Connection speeds

Postby probinson » Oct 15 05 10:25 pm

Hi,

Although I have problems browesing networked machines I can map drives to machines (when default gateway set to VPN Host, if permissions permit).

I'm wondering what sort of speeds I can expect, the host has a 2mps fixed IP ADSL internet connection, the client has a 1mps cable internet connection.

It takes 20-30 seconds to open a 1.5mb image file (using windows XP) and about 45 seconds to copy a 1 mb file from host C: disk to clients C: disk.

Is this normal or should I expect greater speeds?

Pete
probinson

Postby ImmediateAction » Oct 16 05 11:58 am

What upload speeds do you get on each connection?
Every ordinary person is responsible for the rise and fall of his country. - Chinese proverb
ImmediateAction

Postby probinson » Oct 17 05 12:01 am

The upload speeds apear about the same ie 1.14mb file client to host takes about 40seconds.

In fact, when I say host it's actually a participating PC behind the host.

I cannot, at present, test a transfer to the host itsef as the WindowsXP admin share (C$) is not enabled.
probinson

Postby probinson » Oct 17 05 1:35 am

I am gettin a good ping responce with -l switch value of 1500 as described in article on MTU test.

Peter
probinson

Postby probinson » Oct 20 05 11:20 pm

No Responce?

I would have thought the speed of connection was a fundamental issue when considering the benefits of a VPN.
probinson

Postby adrien » Oct 20 05 11:42 pm

Hi

throughput is in the end limited a lot by transit times. You can have a really high-bandwidth connection, but if it has high latency (delay sending a packet from one end to the other), then that can limit your throughput because packets need to be acknowledged, and the sender waits for acknowledgements before sending more data.

So if you ping one end to another, what sort of ping times do you get?

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby probinson » Oct 29 05 11:57 pm

Hi,

3 pings at about 3 seconds intervals returned and average round trip of 47ms, 42ms and 65ms.

Sometimes I get a '25%' loss.

The speeds appear about the same both ways.

Regards

Peter
probinson

Return to WinGate VPN