A simple question... What do I buy?

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

A simple question... What do I buy?

Postby Dabuek » Oct 26 05 12:11 pm

Hey guys,
I work for my family who has a small inhouse network with shared network drives that I'm going to need to be able to access from a remote location.

They currently have approximately 6 computers on their local network... I want to be able to access their network over the internet from my house. What software packages do I need?

Also, they're using a netgear sc101 network storage drive... I'm wondering if I'll be able to access that over the VPN?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Dabuek

Postby MattP » Oct 26 05 2:16 pm

Gidday,

You'll need a single user VPN license for your machine (the joiner), and a gateway license for the Network (the host). How many users depends on how many machines you'll need to access, I'd say you'll be fine with a 3 user gateway license, but if you find in the future that you're exceeding the license count you can upgrade to a 6 user gateway license.
MattP
Qbik Staff

Postby Dabuek » Nov 02 05 6:00 am

Wait a tick... so if I get a 3 user gateway license, does that mean I'll only be able to access two computers at my parents local lan? I think the main problem I'm having is understanding what the gateway licenses DO. Does that mean 3 remote users at other locations can join my parents home network, or does that mean that one remote user can access two computers on their local lan?

Also... does VPN block off all other networking (i.e. will I still be able to use my local internet access while networking with my parents home network).
Dabuek

Postby MattP » Nov 02 05 9:30 am

A gateway license controls access to the local LAN, so a 3 user gateway license allows the VPN server + 2 machines behind the server to be accessible to the VPN.

Incoming connections are not limited, you could have 100 incoming connections to a 3 user license, that's not controlled.

LAN access is based on concurrent connections, so as long as you don't need to access all 6 LAN machines at the same time you should be fine with a 3 user license.

Having the VPN connected should not interfere with your local internet connection at all.
MattP
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN