Setting TCP and UDP Port forwading

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Setting TCP and UDP Port forwading

Postby GSFernando » Oct 27 05 4:34 am

I Have a Netgear DG814 Router and I can not find how to setup the port forwarding of port 809 on TCP and UDP. However I can just select port forwarding and enter the port number. I just want to know is this the same as setting TCP and UDP ports.

Thank You,

G Fernando
GSFernando

Postby jamesc » Oct 27 05 6:30 pm

Detailed instructions for setting up your router are available from this link:

http://www.portforward.com/english/rout ... te_VPN.htm
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Port forwarding Connection time out

Postby GSFernando » Oct 27 05 8:44 pm

I already checked it and has set the settings as shown on the link. I Still get the same error. When connecting through Wingate VPN i get a message "Connection timed out" and when i tried to connect with telnet I get the message "Could not open connection to the host, on port 809: connection failed".

I also have a PIX501 firewall and i took it off and connected the computer directly to the router but still no luck and get the same error. All the firewall and AV software were disabled in the host machine.

Any ideas what i might be doing wrong ?

Thanks,

G Fernando
GSFernando

Postby jamesc » Oct 27 05 9:02 pm

1. It sounds like you have read the troubleshooting section when creating a VPN. Did you check that you are connecting to the correct IP address?http://www.whatismyip.com

2. What security suites and virus scanners do you have?

3. If you disabled the Windows Firewall through the control panel, confirm that it is off in the services.

4. At the WinGate VPN Joiner location, how do you connect ot the internet?

5. Could you also confirm that WinGate automatically opened port 809 for you. GateKeeper --> Extended Networking--> Port Security
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Postby GSFernando » Oct 27 05 9:20 pm

Sorry, but I was able to get the client and server working. At least they look like they work. but now when I connect to the VPN the client the connection looses in few seconds. When I looked in the logs it says: Authentication failed Invalid username/password.

Which login infomarion should i use to login.

Thanks
GSFernando

Postby GSFernando » Oct 28 05 12:26 am

Once again sorry for being so hesitant but I am under a tight deadline to get this VPN up and working.

I now managed to get a connection to the VPN server witout any problems, but although I can see the network I cannot seems to open any. Most say they are not accessible. Only the VPN server seems to be accessible but when you click to open it, nothing happens.

I also realised that When I log into VPN I get or see all the network. I Tried to set up the Wingate with the other DHCP servers Active Directory and although I see the user names on the right hand column, they do not appear when they surf the internet rather I see the IP address instead. Another major problem setting up the Active Directory was that Once its setup I can not log in as the Admin nor any other user. Wingate shows a message "Connection with Wingate server terminated" although the internet access seems to be ok.

Can someone please help me to set up the wingate server to Sync with the DHCP server. Please could you give me step by step instructions because I am really new to this.

Thank You,

G Fernando
GSFernando

Postby genie » Oct 28 05 12:28 am

Are the same ports (809) opened on the other side of VPN connection?
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby GSFernando » Oct 28 05 12:40 am

All the neccessary Ports are open and no Firewall or AV software are running on either machine
GSFernando

Postby genie » Oct 28 05 12:23 pm

Can you ping VPN joiner from a host VPN and vice versa?
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby GSFernando » Oct 28 05 8:47 pm

I have no problems with client and server sides. I can ping them without any problems, I get a VPN connection through

I just want to know why it is that I cant access the host network. although I see the network on the other side, when I click on them nothing happens. Also I only get access to the main VPN server and all the others show a message "Not Accessible" along side them.

Another problem I have is that We have restriction levels set up on the network and when a user logs in to VPN, they should not be able to get access or see the servers they dont have access to. Currently we use script files to map network drives for users. I dont believe that the VPN server although I have sync'd it with the Active directory, the user previlages are transfered. Please me explain how I can restrict users what they have access to.

Also I want to see the User Name on the Activity window and not the IP address. Can you explain how I can do this with Wingate. We Currently use a proxy method, where the user connects to the wingate server to access the Internet through Wingate.

Thank You
GSFernando

Postby GSFernando » Oct 31 05 7:54 am

I have one more question. Currently we have a older version of Wingate running on a different server and I installed the new version of Wingate onm a different sever. I just wanted to know will the two versions interfere with each other.
GSFernando

Return to WinGate VPN