WinGate Issues

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

I tried it...

Postby larsdennert » Feb 25 04 3:04 pm

It was quick to install over my current version but it functioned horribly and continually disconnected whenever the link was used. Two hours later we managed to get both ends of our link back to version 1.0.6 That version works better because it only disconnects every few hours instead of every few minutes. At least we can get some work done in between...

I notice that 1.0.6 is not available anywhere like it was. Why is that? It is the closest thing you have to a stable version. If anyone would like a copy instead of the current version, you may download a copy at http://www.larsdennert.com/misc
larsdennert

Postby adrien » Feb 25 04 3:24 pm

Hi

what disconnects? Your modem? WinGate VPN connection?

How do you connect to the internet? We have found in testing this version to be a lot more stable than previous versions so it must be something specific to your configuration or setup/hardware etc.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby larsdennert » Feb 25 04 4:56 pm

The modems do not disconnect. Regular internet traffic is unaffected.

The server is a 2.4G win2kpro machine with a 3Mbps static ip connection via a Linksys firewall/router/DHCP server box with port 809 forwarded to the server's private ip.

The usual client is a Win98SE machine (probably 400-600Mhz) 128MB ram connected to the internet via an ethernet card through an "always on" 384kbps cable modem that gets it's ip dynamically from the cable co.

After a few minutes of use any file handles I have open get closed and the application returns an error. Usually the application is MS Access because the dbs are large and pound the connection pretty good. Word processing files are small and generally don't cause trouble. Outlook complains often too. The VPN continually indicates a connection but obviously somewhere it is not. After the error, restarting the application (MS Access etc...) will solve the problem until the next time. Version 1.0.6 only disconnects occasionally. The Feb 24 version does it immediately and continually. I am not changing any settings in my vpn configuration. All I did was install the new version. Reinstalling 1.0.6 (820?) again without changing anything else will return it to the "more" reliable state.

I can reproduce this problem by using my home machine as a client. It is a Win2Kpro machine 666mhz with ADSL modem through a Linksys router DHCP server that does the PPOE for the DSL service.

1.0.6 will do it occasionally through dialup. I didn't test the new version.

The WINS Resolver log got corrupted on one machine but I didn't find anything usefull in the other logs. I turned on debug on one my home machine in an effort to watch it puke. Maybe I'll trap something but I'm using 1.0.6 and it happens less consistantly.
larsdennert

Re: WinGate VPN 1.2.3 (build 901) 24 Feb 2004 manual

Postby f_mi » Oct 24 05 6:41 pm

adrien wrote:Hi All

we are happy to announce the release of WinGate VPN 1.2.3 (build 901), this version is an important maintenance release and contains a number of fixes from version 1.2.2

See "http://www.wingate.com/download.php" for more details

From 1.2.2 -> 1.2.3

1. Much improved handling of dial-ups in the driver. This includes WinGate VPN connections, and allowing multiple default gateways for dial up connections.
2. Performance improvements to the NT user database integration with large user databases. Now handle large databases much better which improves synchronising speed.
3. Fixed a BSOD in the driver that could be triggered by some versions of Realtek network cards.
4. Fixed an issue in the driver whereby we were blocking DHCP requests in the firewall under certain circumstances. This resulted in some installations losing access to their network card.

From 1.2 -> 1.2.2

1. Now do not consider an ICMP redirect or ICMP-PMTU route to be valid when considering route clashes from remote VPN nodes. This would show up as route clashes on client nodes on a second and subsequent connection to the VPN server.
2. Fixed UDP relaying, where invalid port relay tables were being sent to the driver if certain ports existed in the UDP broadcast relay table, but were disabled. This fixes name resolution on the VPN.
3. Fixed relaying/NAT of fragmented UDP packets in the driver.

From 1.1 -> 1.2

1. Fixed a kernel memory leak in the ENS driver, which caused "out of buffers" and other errors after extended periods of operations

From 1.0.9 -> 1.0.10
1. Fixed a problem caused by the fix to ghost adapters for XP, which inadvertently broke outbound filtering in the firewall, rendering VPN inoperative for dialup users.

From 1.0.8 -> 1.0.9
1. Fixed an 'Out of buffers' problem which could crop up in the driver after extended use.
2. Improved the way the DNS resolver handles available or unavailable DNS servers.
3. Fixed handling of dial-in connections if they are allocated an IP address in the same subnet as an existing NIC.
4. Fixed the dreaded "ghost adapter" issue with dialup on XP.

Happy downloading!

Adrien

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bravo wingate vpn new version............

i'm new on using this sofware.....can you help me mybe there is a manual help( such as pdf files ) to configuration this sofware for optimal uses.......?

thank's and great sofware for wingate vpn
f_mi

Return to WinGate VPN