Cannot Connect to Remote Host ! Please Help !!!

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Cannot Connect to Remote Host ! Please Help !!!

Postby GSFernando » Nov 04 05 3:48 am

I've set up both sides of the VPN and then connected to the server witout any problems. I see all the Servers on the otherside of the tunnel, but when I click them to open or explore nothing happens. I have already read many posts similar to this and already downloaded the latest engines and installed RIPclient on the client side. But I still have no luck.

All my firewalls and other simillar software have been switched off and UDP and TCP ports 809 have been properly setup. I can ping the Host through client and vice vera. Also tried to Telnet port 809 and was successful.

I also downloaded the WG VPN file and tested that to see if it might be the server side. But again although I can see the server "Walrus", I can not browse or see any resources.

The test machine is a Win XP and I am using the Wingate Trial. Please Someone help me to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance,

G Fernando
GSFernando

Postby adrien » Nov 04 05 8:17 am

Hi

Is your XP machine configured to require users to log on to use it, or does it log straight in by itself?

In order to access network resources it needs to require users to log in.

If you can ping across the VPN between various machines, that indicates that it is basically working. Also, you will need the Rip Client on both networks of the VPN if those networks don't use their local WinGate VPN server as their default gateway.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby GSFernando » Nov 04 05 11:52 pm

Ok here's the thing I installed RIP on the Sever and now I can open the Wingate server but although I see the others I cant open them.

When I open the Wingate server with its ip I get access to it but if I try open with its name I get an error.
Eg: \\192.168.0.2 :- This opens fine without any problems BUT
\\ServerName :- gives me an error

We Have different DNS and DHCP servers and the Wingate DNS and DHCP are disabled. I think I have configured the External DHCP servers correctly. When I open the other network machines from the Wingate server it works fine.

Please tell me what am I missing !!!

Thanks

G Fernando
GSFernando

Postby MattP » Nov 07 05 12:26 pm

Hi,

Ok here's the thing I installed RIP on the Sever and now I can open the Wingate server but although I see the others I cant open them.

You should not install the RIPv2 client on any machine that is running the WinGate software. WinGate VPN has a built-in RIP listener and having two of them running on one machine will cause problems.

What OS are you running on the server? If it's XP SP2 please disable the Personal firewall and see if that makes a difference. If you can access the machine by IP address but not by name it means that the NetBIOS communication is not working properly.

Make sure that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled on the external adapter and that any third party firewall software is stopped.
MattP
Qbik Staff

Postby GSFernando » Nov 07 05 7:43 pm

All the mentioned was done and still no luck. I Only see the Wingate server and can only ping the IP address of the Wingate server. All the other machines show up as "Not Accessible".

Our AD, DHCP and DNS servers are seperate servers. Can you explain in detail how to connect these to the Wingate. I am thinking I might have not done them properly.

Thank You
GSFernando

Postby genie » Nov 07 05 10:24 pm

Can you, please, send us routing table from any of the client machines behind Wingate VPN? The reason I am asking is that in order to work through VPN server, client machine should either have their default gateways pointing to Wingate server machine or they have to have RIP2 client software installed (except Wingate machines themselves).
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby GSFernando » Nov 07 05 11:25 pm

I am sorry if I was unclear, but my problem is that I can connect to the Wingate server without any problems. I get the problem when I want to connect to the other servers. All the other servers show up as "Not Accessible" but although sometimes for few seconds they appear to be available.

I read some topics on the forum and connected to the WG VPN without any problems. and got to the "Walrus" shared folder after authentication.

I am New to Wingate so Any help will be greatful

Thank You
GSFernando

Postby GSFernando » Nov 07 05 11:31 pm

Quick note: I can only Ping the Wingate Server by its IP and not by name. Also as for the other servers I can't ping them at all. I get a "Request timed out" error when I tried to ping the other servers.
GSFernando

Postby genie » Nov 07 05 11:50 pm

That's exactly what I meant - every machine behind Wingate VPN server is considered to be a client for this VPN connection, and as such every machine behind VPN should use Wingate to communicate with another party of the VPN channel. So when I mentioned "clients", I actually meant "computers which are behind Wingate VPN".

In many cases this "unaccessible" problem is related to routing.
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby GSFernando » Nov 08 05 4:43 am

Thank you for all your help... I now have all the VPN side of things working as I wanted. Only a small point... I can only Ping or connect to the servers by IP address and not by name. can you please let me know if their is a quick fix for this.

Thank you,

By the way the solution to the problem I faced was to add the Wigate server as the default gateway to each of the servers and it starts working fine.
GSFernando

Return to WinGate VPN