Cannot open all folders

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Cannot open all folders

Postby mplatti » Nov 10 05 4:53 pm

I have the current trial version of WinGate VNP on our host computer and a laptop, both running WinXP Pro. I can connect to the host and see the folders but can only access the ShareDocs folder. I have set others to share on the host computer but still cannot access them. Is this normal or should I be able to access any folder/file on the host?
mplatti

Postby adrien » Nov 10 05 4:58 pm

You should normally be able to access anything on the host that is shared that the logged in user (on the client) has privileges for on the server.

Common issues are:

1. Client not logging into Windows. If your XP clients don't log in when they open XP, they don't have any credentials on the network.

2. Different credentials on the client and server. For simple networks (i.e. if you aren't all part of a domain), then the username and password on the client must match an account on the server as well.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Cannot open all folders

Postby mplatti » Nov 11 05 7:24 am

I do log in when launching XP and I assumed that the client and host account info matched because I can connect. When I'm in the same building as the host computer using our wireless connection, I can gain access to all the folders on the host. Its only when I'm out of the facility that I can only access the ShareDocs folder and nothng else. If I try, I get the following message:

"You might not have permission to access this network resource.Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions." "The specified network name is no longer available."

I've tried adding a user to the host (under the NT user Manager) with my log on name and password. When I do this, I cannot even establish a connection to the host.
mplatti

Postby MattP » Nov 15 05 3:40 pm

Hi,

Can you check that you're running 6.1? This sounds a bit like an MTU problem that we had with 6.0.4 and you could still be running this version for your trial. If you're not running 6.1 could you please upgrade?
MattP
Qbik Staff

Postby mplatti » Nov 16 05 2:40 am

This is the screen I get when I check the version:

You are not running the current version of WinGate VPN

Thank you for choosing to use our products. Your system reports that you are running version 6.1.0. However the current version is WinGate VPN 2.1.0

Its telling me that 6.1 isn't the current version. I just downloaded this a little over a week ago.

I had checked the MTU when I reviewed the online troubleshooting guide. It is set for 1500?

What next?
mplatti

Postby MattP » Nov 21 05 12:19 pm

Ok, it sounds like you are running WinGate with a VPN license, but that's fine.

If you can access the shared docs folder and not the other shares then maybe you're access the shared machines as a user who does not have permission to the shares.

Are you running a domain or just a workgroup?
MattP
Qbik Staff

Postby mplatti » Nov 22 05 7:07 am

We had a major failure of this computer last week. Windows would not allow us to access the computer. It asked for a password that it was never given, so we could not get in. We had to completely reformat the machine and reinstall everything. We suspect that te Wingate softwarae may have affected this so we have removed it and will no longer attempt to use it. Thank you for your help.
mplatti

Return to WinGate VPN