Connection ok, computers are visible, but no ping or browse

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Connection ok, computers are visible, but no ping or browse

Postby aa.loedeman » Nov 11 05 12:14 am

Hi,

I just got myself a 30 days trial of Wingate VPN yesterday (the . I installed it on both sides (host on W2003 server SBS and join on WXP SP2). The server's address range is 10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0 and the host's is 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0.

The link comes up, computers are visible on both sides, but ping and browse are still not possible. I have network participation enabled to the full network on both sides. I think the problem relates to incorrect routing, but how do I correct it? I use the routes provided by WinGate VPN.

What to do?

Greetings, Bert
aa.loedeman

Postby genie » Nov 11 05 9:42 am

Hi,

Make sure that ports 809 UDP and TCP are opened from both sides - that is, if you have a router/firewall in front of any of your WIngates, it should have port 809 TCP and UDP enabled to be passed through.
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby aa.loedeman » Nov 12 05 12:15 pm

Both ports are opened on the server side. It is impossible for me to open the 809 ports on the client side. I just want to connect to my own public IP at home (84.80.122.23) on which the ports are opened.

Is it impossible to get myself a working solution without opening router ports on each client location? I travel a lot with my laptop and almost never am in the position to access the local router to create a port pass through.

Thanks in advance for your help!
aa.loedeman

Postby genie » Nov 12 05 4:38 pm

It should be OK then - if a client initiates traffic to the server, then (theoertically) it should punch an automatic hole in the upstream firewall. Can you send me routing tables from both sides?
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby adrien » Nov 12 05 4:42 pm

Hi

If there are 2 NAT devices between the client and server, you need to open ports on the firewall in front of the server, but not normally the client. The client will connect out through the client-side firewall OK unless the ports are blocked (unusual).

If you have a multi-site VPN, where all the client sites are behind firewalls, and these sites must talk to each other, then for any 2 sites, there needs to be one of them with opened holes for UDP (not TCP, since they aren't the VPN server which accepts the control channel connection).

So you should be ok if you have ports forwarded/open on your server.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby pugsley » Dec 05 05 2:18 pm

was an answer ever posted? is there a link to another place in the forum that has the answer. I can't find the answer to this.

Thanks in advance.
pugsley

Postby Pascal » Dec 05 05 4:22 pm

You need to ensure that the appropriate ports are open. (Data channel - usually 809 UDP - and that nothing will block this) This will usually be the case if you have a hardware router at the server end - you will need to setup pinholes/passthroughs on the router to allow the data traffic through.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby MattP » Dec 09 05 11:18 am

Hi Bert,

I see that your trial is probably about to expire, do you need us to extend it for you? Did you get the original problem sorted out?

If you would like us to extend your trial please submit a ticket to the support desk and tell us your Trial ID number, which you can find from the License Manager by highlighting the license.
MattP
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN