Missing local participation option

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Missing local participation option

Postby sduffey » Nov 19 05 10:11 am

We use Wingate 2.1 VPN at several locations, we tried setting it up on one of our laptops. It says it connects but nothing is visible or pingable, I verified that port 809 is open both ways. I notice in the VPN properties of this client it is is missing the LOCAL PARTICIPATION option where as all the others have it. What would cause this behavior?
sduffey

Postby jamesc » Nov 19 05 12:02 pm

Can we get a few more details?

1. Is the laptop similar to the other clients who can see the “Local Participation”? i.e. Same version of Windows, Software, Hardware etc...?

2. Have you tried reinstalling?
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Postby sduffey » Nov 23 05 3:13 am

Well after digging I found out that if you run the VPN client on an XP home box you do not see the Local Participation option, if you run it on an XP Pro box, you do.

That being said, his client still will not browse the network or ping the remote network, even though it shows a connected status.

So the first recommendation is to simply reinstall? If so, reinstall on top of the existing installation or remove it and then reinstall? If so, will it allow me to reactivate the same serial number??
sduffey

Postby MattP » Nov 23 05 11:20 am

Hi,

If you're not seeing the local participation option then this indicates that you are running with a single user VPN license.

You don't get a local participation option with a single user license because you can't offer the VPN to LAN clients behind the VPN joiner, and we assume that you want to participate in the VPN (because you joined it after all), so by default the connection type is set to Local Machine only.

If you can connect to the VPN host but you can't ping by machine name, can you ping by IP address? If you can then it sounds like you probably have a firewall blocking the NetBIOS broadcasts, in which case you should make sure that the Windows XP SP2 firewall is disabled.

If you can't ping by IP address check the Published Routes under the VPN (on the Network tab in GateKeeper). Do you see any "in conflict" errors, or similar? If you do it sounds like you're using the same IP subnet at home as on the host LAN, and you'll need to change it to avoid the routing conflict.
MattP
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN