WinGateVPN a solution for my company

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

WinGateVPN a solution for my company

Postby Nightwatcher » Nov 29 05 10:48 am

Hi,

After a long search and try-outs i've come in the hope to find a product that suits us.

We have a small company with 2 computers and a network storage device that should be reached through a VPN tunnel.

We started with a D-Link VPN configuration but that seems not to be able to function on a proper way, it was very slow even on a Broadband connection ( 4.6 Mbps downstream 256 Kbps upsteam) and the lack of support from D-Link made us decide to quit with working with that software (it was NetDefend). (They only gave support to make the VPN tunneling which also was done easiliy)

But we still have a D-Link VPN router: DI-428VUP+ we hope that the winGate software can work with this kind of hardware ?
-What I was thinking, when you have a VPN router is there still need that there is a server-pc at the office ?
-Also a network storage is it a "pc " for the software ?

We work alot with Databases in MS Access , but should we expect to always have problems when using VPN tunneling ?

I hope that i somehow made clear what the questions are and hope to find a good solution so we can get this problem out of the way.

Kind regards,
Nightwatcher

Re: WinGateVPN a solution for my company

Postby Pascal » Nov 29 05 1:50 pm

Nightwatcher wrote:But we still have a D-Link VPN router: DI-428VUP+ we hope that the winGate software can work with this kind of hardware ?
-What I was thinking, when you have a VPN router is there still need that there is a server-pc at the office ?
-Also a network storage is it a "pc " for the software ?

Yes to both of those. WinGate VPN uses a propriety protocol for communication and will not connect / accept connections from hardware VPN routers. So you will need a PC on each end for it to function.

You do not need a dedicated Server though, you can use one of the workstations. By either using RIP to publish VPN routes to the network or by using persistent routes you can configure the other computers to funnel VPN traffic through the WinGate VPN endpoint. You will however have to have the computer on whenever a VPN connection is required.

You can download and trial WinGate VPN. We offer full support during a trial period and this gives you a great opportunity to see how it works for you. I hope that helps answer the questions; if you have more don't hesitate to ask.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby adrien » Nov 29 05 3:03 pm

Just in regard to using MS Access databases over a VPN.

This is a file-based database. Compared with client-server database models, file-based ones have poor performance over slow networks. This is because the access to the database uses the file system, and commonly opens the entire database file.

For this sort of access, you may be best with a remote desktop solution, where DB access can then be at full LAN speed.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN