what do i need

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

what do i need

Postby KSYRETT » Nov 30 05 4:50 am

I wish to link 3 workstations all located at different sites all broadbannd connected. One workstation contains a calendar and address book application I would like to access that application from all 3 workstations what wingate licences do I need?
KSYRETT

Postby Pascal » Nov 30 05 11:16 am

You need one license per network that you wish to connect to the VPN. Effectively, one license per installation of WinGate VPN. So, from your description you have three networks and would need three licenses.

Then, at each location you need to count the number of computers that you want to have participating in the VPN. (Able to access it) That number determines the license size you need for that location.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby KSYRETT » Nov 30 05 11:04 pm

Thanks pascal sorry if I am being a bit of a dummy but I want to make sure this works as we have had little succes with other VPN solutions. Effectively each of the machines is a standalone workstation. Although one of them is hosting a server version of the calendar and contact database. In order to create a Wingate VPN so that the two remote workstations and the workstation hosting the software can all access the database simultaneously what Wingate software do I need to down load and do I down load all of it to the server workstation or do I download Wingate VPN 2.1.0 (build 1068) to each seperate workstation individually

thanks
KSYRETT

Postby Pascal » Dec 01 05 9:54 am

How many different networks do you have? Each network has one machine that acts as an endpoint/anchor for the VPN connection. (Picture it as a big network cable)

You need to download and install WinGate VPN on one machine on each network that you want to connect. One location, preferably one with a static IP will become the VPN host (Server) while all the other networks will connect in to it. From the sound of it, the one hosting the calendar and contact database might be the best one to setup the server on.

Are the two other workstations at separate locations? If so, then you need to download and install WinGate VPN on each of them. We do have a handy setup guide under our White Papers.

You do not need to have the software installed on every machine in a network that wishes to take part - only on one. The others connect by routing traffic through the VPN machine.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby KSYRETT » Dec 02 05 3:48 am

Thanks pascal. We have now downloaded a trial version of the latest VPN software onto 2 of the 3 machines. We have tried to set up the machine with the database on as the serer machine but cannot get it to export the config files. The button described in the understanding VPN PDF from the resources section of your web site as" Export Config" does not appear on our system. So I assume we have done something wrong at that point. The host machine does not have a static IP address and is sitting behind a wireless router (Belkin).
KSYRETT

Postby Pascal » Dec 02 05 10:26 am

When you go into the list of VPNs [Double click VPN icons] make sure you are on the "VPN to Host" tab. In the middle / bottom of the pane there is an "Export Config" button. You need to export the host config and then take that to the joiners.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN