vpn router setup

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

vpn router setup

Postby mstreet » Dec 01 05 10:59 am

Qbik help - i am in the middle of setting up a vpn from work to home. At work i have set up the vpn host and obtained an ip address from "whatismyip.com" but when i try to enter the address into the port forwarding section of my "speedstream 4200" i get the answer "napt server ip address is not a valid host lan address". The ip address at the moment is 58.164.199.26. If i reset the modem i am given a new ip address but the same thing happens.
Hoping you can help - mike
mstreet

Postby Pascal » Dec 01 05 12:39 pm

Port forwarding is done to an internal host. The address you have specified sounds like an external IP. What you want to do is check what your internal IP is by running "ipconfig /all" from the command prompt. You will be given output as below with the IP address being the bolded bit.

BUTTERCUP wrote:Ethernet adapter 192.168.0.67:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0E-A6-BF-B8-ED
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.67
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby mstreet » Dec 02 05 5:01 pm

I did as you sugested but got the same message from port forwarding "napt server ip address is not a valid host lan address".
I have Wingate running on this machine so the static ip address is the same as the gateway (192.168.0.53). I cant understand why the "speedstream 4200" modem would give me this answer as i am following your recomendation from the web site "portforward.com" for this modem and Wingate VPN.

Hoping for some help - mike
mstreet

Postby Pascal » Dec 02 05 5:58 pm

The router, off the top of my head, would give you that message if it determines that the IP address you have entered is not on what it deems to be it's Local Area Network.

What IP were you putting in there? (192.168.0.53?) The fact that that is the static IP and gateway does sound a bit confused. Is it possible for you to run "ipconfig /all" from the command line and post it here, please? (Alternatively, email it to my address listed in the profile and I'll look through it)
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN