New Installation Problem

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

New Installation Problem

Postby Bmac » Jan 16 06 9:35 am

Hello, I am currently trying to evaluate the Wingate VPN product at home before purchasing two complete systems with licenses for use at work.
I have downloaded and installed two demo versions at home.
One system is connected via Bulldog ISP and an ADSL Modem, Netgear DG834.
The other system is connected to NTL via a Cable modem.
I have followed the Qbik VPN Setup Guide, accepting the default basics, in each case and then manually transferring the Client Configuration to the opposite system to complete setup.

Results.
Using either system as client to the other as server, (same in both directions).
On the Gatekeeper screen the right hand panel shows a connection and the details of the other computer, name, IP number, routing etc. But I can’t go any further; I can’t access the other computer via My Network Places or browsing?

More worrying is the fact that I can only get this far, by completely disabling the XP firewall and the Wingate firewall?

Can anyone see what obvious steps I am missing?
I am new to this VPN technology and I am sure I have overlooked something basic!

Regards Brian.
Thanks for any help or advice.
Bmac

Postby adrien » Jan 16 06 10:35 am

hi Brian

Do either or both of these internet connections go through a NAT device?

If so, then there may be a port access issue. Normally if a VPN hoster (server) is behind a NAT device, then port forwarding on that device must be used to forward the TCP control channel, and UDP data channel, usually both on port 809 (but you can adjust this).

Normally when you have the symptom of being able to connect, view machines/routes etc, but you can't connect to the machine itself, it is one of a couple of problems:

1. Tunnel (data channel) not able to be set up.
2. MS networking not bound to the correct interfaces.
3. interference with some other networking software on the machine.

You shouldn't need to disable the WinGate firewall, but we do recommend disabling the Windows XP one, since it creates certain conflicts with WinGate. We don't recommend being connected to the internet without any firewall at all.

Have you tried pinging (or tracert.exe) each machine from the other once the VPN is set up?

Are these dialup connections? If so, then the IP of each machine as seen by the other, is the public IP assigned to the dialup interface by the ISP. This then is the IP that is used in all VPN communications.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby Bmac » Jan 18 06 11:12 am

Dear Adrien,
Thanks for your very prompt reply, as I am doing this work at home, at present, I can not always make as much progress as I would like.

The first point about NAT. One device is behind a NAT device, Netgear DG834, I have set up a service on this and applied a firewall rule for this to allow TCP and UDP data in both directions on port 809.

Your other points are very interesting and I will report back as soon as I have had time to investigate further.

Thanks so far, regards Brian.
Thanks for any help or advice.
Bmac

Return to WinGate VPN