Computer behaving strangely after installing WGVPN

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Computer behaving strangely after installing WGVPN

Postby TheCaretaker » Jan 17 06 11:06 am

I am testing Wingate VPN for my customer who wants to connect his 3 offices. I Have read through lots of these and can't seem to find simple solutions.

Here is the setup:
All 3 offices are behind NAT routers. All computers are running Windows XP Pro.

Office 1: 192.168.2.10 This is the MASTER. The other offices need to connect to this server only. There are 6 other local computers but they will just share the local folder. 192.168.2.75 is the RIPv2 client, port 520 is mapped here, no WGVPN.

Office 2: 192.168.0.x This office has 4 workstations & 1 server. The server is running RIPv2 with port 520 mapped and no WGVPN. The 4 workstations have WGVPN. They can connect to the MASTER but seem to drop randomly.

Office 3: 192.168.1.x This office has 3 workstations & 1 server. The server is sunning RIPv2 with port 520 mapped and no WGVPN. The 3 workstation have WGVPN. They can connect to the MASTER but seem to drop randomly.

Here's my main problem:

1. My network places dosen't list any local computers and has lots strange computers like 'C Drive on SCT123' & 'tsclientC on EntireNetwork' we don't have any computers by those name and where did & 'Media Content on www.steelers.com' come from!!

2. When I click View Network computers I says I don't have permission. I am logged on as the Admininistrator!

3. When I try to add a printer it says I don't have permission to access the Print Spooler on computers in Office 3. I checked the service and it is running. Tried stopping and starting it, still can't add printers, but can print just fine.
TheCaretaker

Furthur Testing

Postby TheCaretaker » Jan 18 06 5:30 am

I found I can get to the local computers and their share's directly...ie
run-\\computer1cc and can map drives and printers now.

I found only offices 2 & 3 have browser problems. Still have strange shares and computers in 'My Nework Places' and I still get 'No permission' when I try to browse. Could the RIPv2 client be picking up other RIPv2 clients on the local DSL/Cable network? The instructions says to map port 520 UDP which I did. I checked all the adapters and they are all Internal.
TheCaretaker

What has WGVPN done to me!!

Postby TheCaretaker » Jan 19 06 9:25 am

Things are much worse now. The owner called yelling that one of his offices can't print or get to the server shares. It was Office 3, I turned off the WGVPN server on the MASTER and that fixed.

Still have the strange or no shares and 'access denied' problems in Office 2 & 3 so I uninstalled WGVPN from all workstations in Office 3, stopped the RIPv2 service and closed the port, rebooted all systems. Didn't help, I still have strange or no shares and get 'access denied' when browsing the LOCAL lan. I tried the '-r' option to remove the RIPv2 service, still there. It is stopped and disabled but can't remove it.

Please help, the only solution I have is to try reinstalling XP on 9 computers!!
TheCaretaker

Got it working!!

Postby TheCaretaker » Jan 20 06 5:53 am

I finally fixed by browser problem. I had stopped the Firewall Service on all the computers like the instructions say. It seems when you turn off the Firewall Service the Browser stops after 5 minutes with a 'time out' error & 'Event ID: 7023'. Microsoft is aware of this Wix XP flaw. I reinabled the Firewall Service and am able to browse the local network.

I decided to remove RIPv2 just to simplify the setup. I also found once WGVPN connected I lost Local Browsing again. I had to set the firewall in WGVPN to low. Now all 7 computers are connected to the MASTER, can still Browse the Local LAN and are STABLE!!

Thanks for the Help?
TheCaretaker

Return to WinGate VPN