Problems with NT4 Server

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Problems with NT4 Server

Postby Weebs » Jan 30 06 12:01 pm

I am trying to use Wingate VPN to map to client drive letter via the VPN to a fileserver share. The fileserver is also the Wingate VPN server. Connection is via a DSL router into a Netgear FVS318 router then into the server. I have port mapped through the routers to the fileserver.

I can connect the client (XP pro) to the VPN server and can connect but cannot see the Server as a share . I can see a few computers on the network but all computers are marked as Not Accessable.
I have installed the Ripclient. Also have noticed that the LAN subnet is 255.255.255.0 where the published routing to the server on Wingate subnet is 255.255.255.255.

Do I need to have Netbui installed or some other service on NT4? The Netgear router is NAT but the Server IP is always mapped to a fixed IP.

Any help would be appreciated as I am a little weak on VPN's.
Weebs

Postby genie » Jan 30 06 10:18 pm

You have to make sure that your gateway/firewall (the external one) allows VPN traffic through - through opening port 809 (UDP and TCP).
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby Weebs » Jan 31 06 3:09 am

I do have port 809 opened and tried with the firewall disabled. Would I be able to connect to the VPN with 809 blocked?
Weebs

Postby genie » Jan 31 06 11:16 am

No, because Wingate VPN uses UDP traffic through this port (or any port you have configured there) for its data tunnel.
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby Weebs » Jan 31 06 1:57 pm

So then my routers and firewall must be passing data correctly. The problem must be in my configuration. Do I need Netbui to share the NT machine? I only load TCPIP.

Should I be able to see the shares of the machine that is hosting the VPN? I cannot see it at all.
Weebs

Return to WinGate VPN