Help needed on VPN

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Help needed on VPN

Postby deencat » Feb 01 06 8:53 pm

Hi all,

I am trying to evaluate a VPN solution for my company but this is something different than normal p2p VPN.

What we need is to connect from Window 98, 2000 or XP using VPN client to a VPN server whether it is third party standard VPN server or Qbik Wingate VPN server, we don't know yet. But we need the packet forwarding or NAT function in the VPN server so that it will forward all packets to another server which is not VPN enabled and if possible not on the same subnet.

e.g.

VPN Client ---- IPSEC ----> VPN Server -----> Non-VPN Server

Just wondering what do I need to install in order to test this out. On top of that we need the VPN Server to accept any IP from the VPN clients as it is using ADSL, static ip is a problem on the client side.

Thanks a lot for whoever can help me with this, thank you.

Cheers,
deencat

Postby genie » Feb 01 06 11:19 pm

Wingate does support this kind of arrangement - the only requirement being non-VPN machine should have proper route (either static or dynamically allocated through, for example, RIP) through the VPN server machine.
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby Pascal » Feb 02 06 11:23 am

That scenario is definately possible as Genie suggested.

Install WinGate VPN on any client machine and install WinGate VPN on the machine you want to act as a server. The only caveat is that WinGate VPN is a routing based solution. Unless you're experienced in crafting routing tables it's generally recommended that each endpoint of the VPN (client / server) should be on different subnets.

So if the non-VPN server is on say, the same subnet as the VPN client, you will have routing issues to resolve.

Secondly, because it is a routing solution the non-VPN server will need to know that traffic destined to any VPN client should go out through the VPN server. This can be either by using the VPN server as it's default gateway, by setting up static routes (Slightly more complex with many clients) or by using RIP v2.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby deencat » Feb 02 06 3:31 pm

Thanks a lot Genie & Pascal for your information.
deencat

Return to WinGate VPN