Is this setup possible?

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Is this setup possible?

Postby marcelser » Mar 01 06 1:39 pm

Hi, is such a setup possible?

I want to join two small home lans (both behind a Cable/NAT Router) with a VPN for multiplayer gaming. As the routers have built-in VPN setups for lan-to-lan connections I was able to join the 2 networks together. However this creates 2 network segments (192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x) and then the Broadcasts from the games do not reach the 2 network segment. This prevents playing multiplayer games because the games you open don't show up in the game lobbies.

Would WinGate VPN be able to join these 2 networks into 1 network segment so all broadcasts would reach the second network? And would it be possible for friends of ours to connect single pc's to this VPN and also become part of that network segment?

The idea is to play whatever game we want. We have old games which use IPX (over TCP/IP with the Windows protocol IPX/SPX Nwlink over TCP/IP), the we have games which use UDP only and we have newer games which use TCP/IP.

Is such a setup possible? Especially the IPX routing/broadcasting is important as some old games do not offer UDP or TCP/IP, but as far as I understand, this should be ok because IPX runs ontop TCP/IP when you use the Windows IPX/SPX NwLink protocol.

Thanks for lettin me know.
marcelser

Postby Pascal » Mar 01 06 2:12 pm

WinGate VPN also requires different segments, but it has the ability to broadcast across segments on predefined ports. We initially added this feature for this exact problem (Warcraft III games not visible in the Lobby)

So yes, definately possible. One of my main reasons for loving this thing so much.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby marcelser » Mar 01 06 7:55 pm

OK,

I tried to download the trial version but I'm a bit confused about the download page. There you can download the wingate vpn and the ripv2 client.

Do I also need to download the client? And if so, where does the client have to be installed? On every machine or only the machines which particiapte in the VPN?

And is there a setup guide for setting up the VPN with broadcasting from network to the other?

And another question. Would it pe possible to let the routers make the vpn connection and let wingate only handle the broadcasting between the two networks? This would be a great solution because you don't have to waste cpu power for managing the vpn because this would be done by the routers itself.

Thanks for letting me know.
marcelser

Postby Pascal » Mar 02 06 10:58 am

You need WinGate VPN on each segment that will be participating in the VPN. It's a software solution; so cannot be used on the routers themselves.

Should be able to find a setup guide in the Knowledge Base (Support link from www.wingate.com) Be aware though that the Certificate generation tab does not exist anymore; it's now contained within the certificate manager.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN