client ping timeout

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

client ping timeout

Postby zycw » Nov 19 03 3:14 pm

I have a VPN between 2 LANS, each of them use ADSL for acessing the internet. One LAN has 192.168.4.x as subnet and the other 192.168.199.x, both of them with 255.255.255.0 netmask.
Both wingate computer use win2000 server.
The VPN is established ok, I can ping client from server(192.168.4.x),but i can not ping server from client(192.168.199.x).and client show all computer in server net is not access

Can anyone help me?

Sorry for my poor english.
zycw

Postby adrien » Nov 28 03 8:16 am

When a WinGate VPN client connects to a WinGate VPN server, it gets a list of machine names from the WinGate VPN server. These are what you see in GateKeeper on the VPN client machine.

The VPN client then tries to communicate with each of these machines. The specific form of the communication is a NetBIOS NBTSTAT command, which is used to query the NetBIOS name table of the remote machine (much like the command line utility nbtstat.exe does). If this fails, the machines are shown as unavailable.

This can mean one of two things

a) the machine is not accessible because of routing (most likely)
b) the machine is not responding to such requests (sometimes happens).

In general the problem is (a), and it comes down to the configuration of the routing.

Am I correct in assuming that the VPN machine on your office network is not the default gateway for that network?

In order for the VPN to work, routing must allow packets through the VPN and back, each machine that wishes to participate must believe it has a route to each other machine it wishes to communicate with. So, there are several things you can do.

1) enable RIP listening on your main office gateway; or
2) Set the default gateway for machines on your office network to point to the WinGate VPN gateway (may not be an option for you). Failing that:
3) set up a specific route on machines that you need to access in the office to point back through to the remote VPN machines via the local office VPN gateway; or
4) install our RIP client on each machine on the office network you need to access... this will automatically configure the routes you need on that machine. You can get the RIP client from http://www.qbik.com/downloads.php

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN