Cannot see control panel in Gatekeeper

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Cannot see control panel in Gatekeeper

Postby norcalguy » Mar 23 06 7:49 am

I have installed the VPN software and everything installed ok.
When I open the gatekeeper program it lets me link up fune, then when I look at the GUI of gatekeeper where the conrol panel should pop up just a blank box appears. I can toggle in and out of the bank box by clicking on the viewing control panel option, but nothing ever actually appears. The window with the 3 tabs at the bottom is what I would expect to appear.
Also the Icon for the control panel seems to be a little different than the other Isons in the main menu.
Basically I'm sure it's a GUI bug, but I have no idea how to fix it.

The computer is a brand new Dell running XP Home with 15 or so other programs installed.

Any advice would be appriciated.
I've done multiple install de-installs to try and fix it, but I'm sure it's leaving the corupt dll's behind anyway...leaving outcome the same.

Actually I jsut realized that the entire GUI is not there. On the left side there sould be a window with a bunch of tabs under it as well. The is no window until I activate the system messages.
norcalguy

Postby Pascal » Mar 23 06 9:20 am

1. Do you have an activated license? (Trials ok as well)
2. What Userdatabase are you using?
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby norcalguy » Mar 23 06 10:02 am

I am using a trial license, which activates Ok as I log on to the program.

I cannot get far enough to enter a userdatabase.
norcalguy

Postby Pascal » Mar 23 06 10:06 am

And you're running this locally, logging in as "Administrator" with no password? (Latest version of VPN as well?)
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby norcalguy » Mar 23 06 10:17 am

Yes and Yes. Downloaded last night and followed directions to initally log on.
norcalguy

Postby norcalguy » Mar 23 06 10:24 am

Maybe I'm not activating my trial properly, cause every time i open the program it goes through the trial activation sequence. Then tells me I now need to contact you guys with a really long serial number, then continues and lets me get to the blank GUI.

I think this could be an activation problem...
norcalguy

Postby Pascal » Mar 23 06 10:24 am

Ok, you've got me close to stumped. Normally this type of thing happens when the user logging in does not have sufficient rights (WinGate VPN wise) to see the User interface. That cannot be the case for you as you haven't logged in before to change the policies.

The component that is most active during this process is the license negotiation system. It is responsible for signalling the UI is allowed to start. Because GateKeeper can be used remotely if the latest version is not cached these components are shipped to where GateKeeper is running from. (Normally this should not affect you, but I'm wondering if something could be affecting that).

So, we're quickly going to try and circumvent that - just in case this is causing a problem. First, close GateKeeper. Then, in your WinGate folder (Usually c:\program files\wingate) create a subfolder called "DLL Cache". Then, navigate to your licensing folder (Usually c:\program files\qbik licensing) and copy the .dll files from there to DLL Cache.

Then try logging into GateKeeper again.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby Pascal » Mar 23 06 10:25 am

norcalguy wrote:Maybe I'm not activating my trial properly, cause every time i open the program it goes through the trial activation sequence. Then tells me I now need to contact you guys with a really long serial number, then continues and lets me get to the blank GUI.

AH! Yes, if it is prompting you to activate everytime that means it is not picking up on the license correctly. Then you will get the blank UI. (Phew).

* Open License Management from the WinGate start menu and activate a license from there.
* Stop the WinGate Engine.
* Restart the Engine.
* Relaunch GateKeeper.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN