logging on to a domain with wingate vpn

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

logging on to a domain with wingate vpn

Postby nzrock » Mar 24 06 9:40 am

Hi

I am trying to set a wingate vpn.
On our domain server we have wingate & vpn installed & are to connect to the domain from a laptop offsite.

1) The vpn connetcs up without any problem & i can access the the shared drives on the server, but when i try to connect to the domain, i get a dns error which says that the domain name can not be found.

I can ping the server & other comps on the office lan, from home, but no domain login

2) Can not ping/access the linux box that we have on the lan, although it is accesible form other comps within the office lan
nzrock

Postby Pascal » Mar 27 06 3:41 pm

How do you have WinGate VPN setup to connect? Normally when connecting in to a remote server where you want the machine joined to the domain you'd setup the client PC to connect to the VPN on startup.

Is the Linux box routing traffic back through the VPN gateway?
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby nzrock » Mar 27 06 5:05 pm

I have the client vpn set to manual.
I log on as a local user, connect up the vpn, log off & then try to log back on as a domain user (win2k server).
(Wingate is installed on the domain server.)

the linux box has it gatway address set to the domain/wingate server.

Pascal wrote:How do you have WinGate VPN setup to connect? Normally when connecting in to a remote server where you want the machine joined to the domain you'd setup the client PC to connect to the VPN on startup.

Is the Linux box routing traffic back through the VPN gateway?
nzrock

Postby jamesc » Mar 28 06 4:41 pm

Hi NZRock, I believe I am talking to you in a support ticket, and thought I would add part of the dialogue here for the benefits of others.

1. If your remote laptop user needs to join an Active Directory Domain, it will need the AD DNS server specified; is that the case? Because it needs to consult the AD DNS to find the records for the domain controller etc...

DNS Address is specified in your TCP/IP Settings.
Setting a computer to use a domain is done via the System option in the Windows Control Panel (Computer Name tab / Network ID tab depending on your OS)

2. Your Linux box will need to know how to send data to the VPN tunnel. It can EITHER:

a) Have its default gateway pointing to the WinGate VPN Host.
b) OR it will need to have a RIP 2 Client running on it so it can automatically discover the routes on the VPN
c) OR you can manually create the routes; not really desirable though if there will be many VPN Joiners / Sub networks.

nzrock wrote:I have the client vpn set to manual.
I log on as a local user, connect up the vpn, log off & then try to log back on as a domain user (win2k server).
(Wingate is installed on the domain server.)

*This has been retested by QA, and we can confirm it works.

nzrock wrote:the linux box has it gatway address set to the domain/wingate server.

If you Linux Box has its default gateway pointing to the VPN Host on the domain controller, then it will know how to send data down the tunnel. So the question is:

1. Can you ping the Linux Box?
2. Does the linux box have some kind of iptable setting to only allow traffic from your LANS subnetwork?
3. Does the linux box only allow access to people who are part of the domain?
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN