Vodafone/o2 3G/GPRS Cards cause problems

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Vodafone/o2 3G/GPRS Cards cause problems

Postby bri » Apr 07 06 12:57 am

Hello,

I am trialing GPRS data cards on my companies laptops.

They connect to the internet and you can browse website's fine, but when i try to connect to my VPN server using the data cards they will connect to the server but shows all the computers on that network as "not accessable". The VPN works fine across normal broadband connections and analog dial up connections from all our other laptops. It is just when i use the data cards.

I was woundering if anyone had come accross this problem before?

I have tried all the obvious, like checking for updates, changing the useage to internal and external, ports are allowed through on Firewall etc.

Any help much appricated!

Cheers,

Brian
bri

Postby jamesc » Apr 07 06 6:39 pm

Hi Brian,

1. What version of WinGate VPN Only are your remote workers using?
What version of WinGate / VPN Only is hosted at the main office?

2. As you have said those same laptops could theoretically dial up a 56k connection to an ISP and the computers on the VPN Host would be expected to be accessible; correct?

Or are you saying that from the VPN Host (server, normal internet connection), when accessing the laptops with GPRS that they are shown as "Not Accessible"

3. Does pinging by IP Address or using UNC paths with IP Address allow any connectivity to the Not Accessible computers?

4. Sometime Not Accessible computer can be caused by an MTU issue:
We have a knowledge base article to help you with this, the link is below. I have also added a quick briefing here.
http://support.qbik.com/index.php?_a=kn ... ils&_i=102

Quick briefing:
The command to test it is as follows; it’s a good idea to know what the MTU is for your type of connection before starting to test. –l is the size of the packet and –f means do not defragment it; i.e. what is the largest packet it the other end can receive.

Ping –l 1472 –f www.vpnhost.com

If you get no replies, or a reply, that’s good.
If you get a message something like: Need to defrag packet but df set … then lower the 1472 value until you get replies / no replies..

If you believe you have found your optimum MTU, then you can go to the GateKeeper of WinGate, View menu, Network, and double click your network card pointing towards the internet, Advanced tab, then override the MTU; you will need to do a restart to apply the changes.

If you are still having issues, please let us know; we may get you to open a support ticket and reference this forum post.
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Postby bri » Apr 11 06 12:29 am

Hi James.

1. The VPN only version is 2.1.1, The server is running WinGate 6.0.4

2. Yes i have tried connecting the latops from a 56k and they connect and work fine. It is only when using the GPRS cards on the laptop that they do not work.

3. No pinging any of the computers on the network comes back with no replies.

4. I have tried pinging vpnhost.com and get no replies. the mtu is currently at 1500 however i cannot change this on VPN only, as there is no advanced tab, it's only available on WinGate server.

Since i posted i have got some communcation for it, after i have first connected the the internet and connected to the vpn. nothing will happen, then i disconnect from both vpn and the internet and reconnect and it works sometimes. not sure why!?

Any help would be greatful!!

Cheers,

Brian
bri

Return to WinGate VPN