Wingate VPN and Terminal Server

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Wingate VPN and Terminal Server

Postby defiantclass1 » May 23 06 3:46 am

Hello,

My initial goal was to set up my Terminal Server using Remote Desktop Connection for 15 or so off site users to log in and run an application. However, since the application is a 16 bit DOS application, it does not run over Remote Desktop.

I installed Wingate VPN and it does allow the program to be run. What I'm looking for is the best suggested way to do this. What I would really like is for the users to have the "Desktop Enviornment" they have when using Remote Desktop. Using Wingate VPN, it is more like navigating through a file tree. This does work, but I like the ability to use Group Policies in Active Directory to control the user enviornment which I get when I use Remote Desktop and actually logging on to the server.

I guess I'm just looking for feedback on the best practice for Wingate VPN to Terminal Server configuration.

Thank you
defiantclass1

Postby genie » May 23 06 10:34 am

Wingate VPN is a tunnelling application - that is it tunnels whatever traffic is sent from computer A to computer B. So if you have Wingate VPN server running on your terminal server machine or routing traffic for it, you can use the same terminal server client support as if you are connecting to the server on LAN.
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby defiantclass1 » May 23 06 12:43 pm

If I have Wingate Enterprise running on its own server, a Wingate VPN client on the TS and then various other client PCs connecting to the TS and running the application, which machine uses the most resources? The TS or the Wingate Enterprise server?

Does the Group Policies on the Active Directory take effect on the logged in clients?

Thanks for the help!
defiantclass1

Postby adrien » May 23 06 3:11 pm

I would say the TS will be using more resources. WinGate VPN doesn't use much at all.

Since your clients are still logging into the TS, the policies should still apply - WinGate VPN won't affect that. It only provides basic network connectivity. Everything above that (like MS networking, policies etc) is the responsibility of the OS / whatever software you are using over the network connection.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby defiantclass1 » May 24 06 3:29 am

And when you say "Since your clients are still logging into the TS", is logging in to the VPN essentially the same as logging into the TS? What I saying is, after logging into the VPN they would navigate to the TS machine and open it and view whatever shares are available. But there is no actual log in at that point (other than the initial VPN login). The VPN login is what authenticates the user to the TS machine, provided they are an allowed user of that machine.

Sorry, this is my first go at this.

I know I can restrict access to any of the other clients visable on the VPN, but is there a way to hide all the machines except one (in this case, the TS)? I don't like the fact the users have to look at all the machines connected. I would prefer that they log in to the VPN and see only 1 machine, the machine that they are to log on to. Not the Master or other clients. Not a big deal though, just a question.

Thanks again
defiantclass1

Return to WinGate VPN