PLEASE HELP....can't browse or ping computers in names

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

PLEASE HELP....can't browse or ping computers in names

Postby danotang » Jun 08 06 10:48 pm

Hi All,

I have setup a wingate VPN server on a w2k pro machine(not the default gateway on LAN). All VPN participants in this LAN have been installed the RIP v2. The VPN server has a NAT in the default gateway (checkpoint). DNS server on this LAN is on another machine(NT 4 sp6a). I have clients from internet connect directly to the VPN server. The connection is OK. All services run OK. Clients can ping the IP addresses of VPN server and all VPN participants. However, these clients CANNOT ping with the computer names. Any ideas?? Any helps is appreciated!!!
danotang

Postby genie » Jun 08 06 11:01 pm

WINS problem? Normally it takes some time for WINS to gather name information from the network - does the problem persist after, say, 10 minutes activity? What version of Wingate are you using?
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby danotang » Jun 09 06 1:48 pm

my WINS server is the same as my DNS server (NT 4 sp6a) and it is also the Domain Controller. My WinGate VPN version is 2.1.0. I'm test driving WinGate VPN since our company will need to setup a VPN connection soon. I have the following questions:
1. Is it necessary to configure the WINS parameter in GateKeeper to point to the LAN WINS? Since the WINS parameter of LAN card in the VPN server is not configured.
2. Is it true that my WINS/DNS server need to install RIP v2 client?
3. How could I configure remote VPN clients to login domain?

Any helps is appreciated!!!

genie wrote:WINS problem? Normally it takes some time for WINS to gather name information from the network - does the problem persist after, say, 10 minutes activity? What version of Wingate are you using?
danotang

Postby danotang » Jun 09 06 5:54 pm

sorry, it is my mistake on my last reply. I don't have WINS service installed on my LAN. We use DHCP and have an internal DNS server. Thus, do I need to have WINS installed just for the VPN server? or is there any other alternatives? Thanks!

One more question, how could I put a Sun Solaris box to be a VPN participant? Thanks again!!

genie wrote:WINS problem? Normally it takes some time for WINS to gather name information from the network - does the problem persist after, say, 10 minutes activity? What version of Wingate are you using?
danotang

Postby genie » Jun 09 06 5:56 pm

If you want Solaris box to participate you have to set it up behind a Wingate server participating in your VPN network and (preferably) has its default route set through this Wingate machine.
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby danotang » Jun 09 06 6:16 pm

ok..so I will add some static routes on my Sun box. Thanks!...

what about the computer browse and ping computer name issue? Do I need a WINS server? Because in LAN, I can ping and browse with computer names without problems. Thanks!

genie wrote:If you want Solaris box to participate you have to set it up behind a Wingate server participating in your VPN network and (preferably) has its default route set through this Wingate machine.
danotang

Postby jamesc » Jun 16 06 8:21 pm

1. Have you tried disabling the Windows Firewall on one LAN Client for the sake of testing (Or any other firewall / security suite)?

(Windows) Start menu --> Run --> services.msc --> Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), Set the Startup Type to Disabled, and then stop the service.

2. Is NetBIOS enabled on your network card that the VPN Joiners are connecting to?

(Windows) Control Panel --> Network Connections --> <The Local Area Connection VPN connects to> --> Properties --> TCP/IP --> Advanced --> WINS
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN