Altnerative to WinGate VPN

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Altnerative to WinGate VPN

Postby MarcusR » Oct 07 06 6:19 pm

Okay, I am writing this here because this is the only message board I know of with members that want VPN solutions.

My needs are very simple. I have a cable internet that goes to a router (linksys WRT54G) and then there a hub that then connects to my desktop / laptop. My laptop also has wireless a wireless connection.

All I want to be able to do is go to the coffee shop which has unsecure wireless internet and tunnel all my traffic through my desktop computer at my house. Effectively securing my wireless internet connection at the coffee shop. Pretty simple, huh?

I have tried Win Gate and it does NOT work for my particular setup. The people at Win Gate don't know why I assume because they haven't responded to my support e-mail. I install it and it KILLS my internet connection and all I get is "disabled" even though I have followed the port forwarding instructions. This is not good because the reason why I want VPN is to access the internet securely. Good thing I was just using a trial.

So, my question is, is there any solution for me that will still allow me to connect to the internet (very important) AND is not hardware based? What does everyone recommend?

Thanks
MarcusR

Postby genie » Oct 09 06 4:14 pm

When you mentioned that Wingate killed your internet connection, did you mean this "disabled" status displayed by Wingate?
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby jamesc » Oct 13 06 8:21 pm

Hi Marcus,

I have just searched through our support system for your email address and cannot find any references for a request for help. Were you creating a support ticket from WinGate.com or another distributors / resellers website?

I have created a support ticket for you and have sent it to your email address provided by the forum. For future reference, if you need to find professional advice for non WinGate IT related questions, then you may want to subscribe to Experts-Exchange.com - Its a great site to get solutions regarding any computer subject.

James
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN