Client cannot ping server

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Client cannot ping server

Postby jegdijkstra » Nov 18 06 10:30 am

I am not sure what is meant with the examples that clients have to be in different subnets. Eg. 192.168.0.xxx and 192.168.1.xxx.

I configured wingateVPN as a server on my server system which is behind a router and has an internal address of 192.168.2.xx.
My client is directly attached to a cable modem and becomes a public address of 217.123.mm.nn. This is a dynamic IP address and the default gateway is not manually configured as well.

From the client side I can connect and this results in an active tunnel.
I don't see my server in my gatekeeper Microsoft windows network. Neither do I see it my windows explorer.

I cannot ping my server address. The default gateway is dynamically adjusted to 217.123.aaa.bbb. What can I do to get the IP messages from my client follow the route through the VPN tunnel rather than going via the public internet and getting nowhere?

Can I handle this with Wingate VPN or do I need subnets on client and server side which both start with 192.168.******
jegdijkstra

Postby genie » Nov 18 06 9:32 pm

No, not neccesarily - most probably you do not have firewall hole opened in your client router - Wingate VPN needs to have port 809 (both TCP and UDP) to be opened/forwarded to Wingate machine.
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby jegdijkstra » Nov 18 06 10:19 pm

I would say on the client side these ports are open because I get an active tunnel.
What is very unclear to me is about the default gateway and/or routes.
How can I force that a ping messages from the client side goes to the VPN tunnel and not to the public internet?

I once worked with a Cisco VPN client which showed up as a seperate network adapter with its own IP address.
jegdijkstra

Postby genie » Nov 18 06 11:52 pm

Wingate VPN is controlled by routing - so if a tunnel is opened, the new routing table is populated to the driver. Speaking of the holes - if a tunnel is established, it means that port 809 TCP is active - but the UDP port might still be closed.
genie
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN