VPN connected, but can't browse remote networks on XP

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

VPN connected, but can't browse remote networks on XP

Postby jasonbuchheim » Dec 07 03 11:33 am

Hi,

I have read where this questions has been posted and answered a few times, but I have tried everyting mentioned and nothing works. I can't browse the remote shares or computers.

Here is my setup:
Two Win XP Pro computers, one as host connected a router on to a cable modem, and the other as client connected to a router on to a dsl connection. The router is set up to put this client computers address into its DMZ zone. The host router has the ports 809 enabled for pass through to the hosts ip.

The computers can ping each others IP address, but not by name, only by IP.

The ip's host: 192.168.0.2 and client 192.168.5.100

I do not have any WINS or Active Directory as both computers are Win XP.

Both computers have the same workgroup name MSHOME

both computers are connected to other computers within their local LAN and can share on the MSHOME. I am not conncerned with reaching the other computers (I have read about RIP2, but I just want a browse to the drives on the host).

Wingate creates a Tunnel between the computers, and when I say 'Test', it quicly returns to green.

I can see the remote hosts Local network through GateKeeper, but when I try to Open or Explore, nothing happens. I can't see the remote computer through Explorer.

I have the client computer set up to require a login with a password when logging into Windows.

I am spending way too much time trying to figure this out....;)

If the problem is not with Wingate VPN or my setup, but with routing or my windows share, I would greatly greatly appreciate help in that area instead.

Why is this so complicated?????

Please help.

Jason
jasonbuchheim

Postby adrien » Dec 08 03 7:11 pm

Hi

I am fairly sure this is related to the bug introduced in 5.2 regarding relaying of UDP broadcasts.

We have now fixed this and there is a workaround in the interim.

To get the UDP relaying working properly for the NetBIOS ports (138 and 137) you need to also enable the 2 DHCP ones.

These ports are used by the browser clients to find servers by name, and browse shares etc on remote machines.

We will be releasing an update this week to resolve this.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN