Microsoft Firewalls blocking vpn access

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Microsoft Firewalls blocking vpn access

Postby Greg Merrill » Jan 09 07 12:29 pm

I have two windows XP machines that can use the vpn (use remote resources) only when their firewalls are disabled.

Mind you, I've tried opening port 809 (both udp and tcp) and activating windows firewall. When I try this the vpn clients can connect but they cannot browse and are (not accessable) to the vpn server.

Are there ANY other ports I need to open, or other standard protocols I need to open (icmp, or whatever the alphabet acronyms are?)
Greg Merrill

Postby MattP » Feb 13 07 11:59 am

Hi Greg,

You can try opening port 53, 137 and 138 which are the DNS and NetBIOS ports. That should allow network browsing over the VPN.

It is a little risky to have these ports exposed, are your networks behind a router firewall?

Matt
MattP
Qbik Staff

Postby jamesc » May 15 07 11:42 pm

You can also try the folllowing:

(Windows) Start menu --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Windows Firewall --> Exceptions tab --> File and Printer Sharing.

--> Change the scope for each of those ports – i.e. add the subnet in of the remote network, or just set “Any computer” if you feel dangerous.
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Postby Lampie » Jun 05 07 9:05 am

Same problem here. Can you guys list the exact exceptions and/or ports for the Windows (XP) firewall. I think that Qubik staff is experienced with it.
My VPN is running fine, however I have to switch of the firewall in order to be able to browse the network
Lampie

Postby jamesc » Jun 12 07 4:16 pm

So when you create an exception in the Windows Firewall you still cannot browse the remote network shares? Or are you talking about your local networks shares?

The Port Numbers listed in the Windows Firewall are all you should need for browsing network shares.

UDP 137 = NetBIOS Name Service
UDP 138 = NetBIOS Datagram Service
TCP 139 = NetBIOS Session Service
TCP 445 = Microsoft-DS Service

jamesc
Qbik Staff

Postby Lampie » Jun 18 07 10:36 pm

Hi JamesC
Many thanks for reply. I'm still struggling with the Windows firewall. If I disable the firewall, my network is running fine. I can SHARE the files om my server with my client computer, modify them etc. If I enable the firewall, I cannot. Still I can see the directory on the server, however I cannot open it and share the files on my client computer. Maybe this is a better description of the problem I have.
I hope you have a solution, as I prefer to have my firewall enabled.
Lampie

Return to WinGate VPN