Window Vista

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Window Vista

Postby ajdionne » Feb 01 07 1:06 pm

Hello Adrien!

I have vista installed on a new machine. I cannot get Wingate VON to work. The ENS driver is disable, hence cannot set up VPN Join.

I know that I am probably to early as most compony have not done anything yet (i have other darn issues) but perhaps you have a solution in your desk!

The problem is with driver Qbic...HT.sys

Best Regards
ajdionne

Postby MattP » Feb 13 07 11:54 am

Hi,

At the moment we're still working on Vista compatibility so the VPN won't work yet. We hope to be ready with this soon though.

Regards,

Matt
MattP
Qbik Staff

Postby sduffey » Feb 28 07 2:03 am

I also have upgraded my home box to Vista and use Wingate VPN to connect to the office. Is there any sort of timeframe for a Vista compatible version of Wingate VPN to be available? Are we talking days, weeks, or months?
sduffey

Postby MattP » Mar 01 07 8:56 am

At this stage it would be a few months away I think. We're not aiming for another release until WinGate 2007 and all the developers are working hard on that at the moment.

Regards,

Matt
MattP
Qbik Staff

Postby sduffey » Mar 01 07 9:03 am

Wow that is not what I wanted to hear. :(

I would think making your products compatabile with Vista would be of more importance.

Making people wait for a new full release instead of releasing an interim patch is not very customer friendly.
sduffey

Postby adrien » Mar 12 07 3:20 pm

you could say that releasing a new operating system that doesn't let your old software work isn't very friendly either.

In that case, need to point the blame at MS, we didn't create Vista.

It's a lot of work to re-write our software for Vista. Things need to be restructured, because a lot of things have changed a lot. So it's not just a patch.

It just takes time. There's no rushing software development. Vista itself was several years late even after major cut-backs to its target functionality.

You'll find there are a lot of other things that won't work as well. This is a fact of life that comes along with being an early adopter of new OSes.

The sorts of things they don't tell you when they are trying to sell you the new OS.
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby sduffey » Mar 13 07 12:57 am

It's not like Vista snuck up anyone. It's nice to hear a software vendor making excuses for not expediting compatibility with an operating system that has been in the works for five years, released by the company that provides the OS run by the vast majority of the world.

Wow.....
sduffey

Postby adrien » Mar 13 07 5:57 pm

what makes you think we are not expediting support for Vista?
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby adrien » Mar 13 07 6:06 pm

you need to realise that less than 0.01% of our customers use Vista (yet). We know of course this number will rise.

We are working on other things than just OS compatibility. Like major new functionality that provides benefit to people, rather than just support for a new OS.

We are doing a bunch of restructuring for the next major WinGate version. It doesn't make any sense to do all that twice - once for a patch for Vista for WinGate 6.x for the couple of people that want it, and once more for the next major version.

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, but that's just the commercial reality of the game here - there's just not enough demand for a patch for WinGate 6.x for Vista to sidetrack us from WinGate 7 (which will support Vista).

The timing has been such that the next version wasn't ready for the release dates of Vista. We are working flat out on it though. And your previous version licence will still work in the next version as well, so it's not like we force people to pay for upgrades to get a version that will work on Vista.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby sduffey » Mar 14 07 4:49 am

Well as a workaround I am going to try to run Wingate VPN from within a Virtual PC 2007 instance of Windows XP. Wish me luck.
sduffey

Postby adrien » Mar 14 07 10:25 am

We've had reports of success running WinGate under VMWare, so fingers crossed.

Also, if you'd like a pre-release to try on native Vista, let me know - it's not ready yet, but you're welcome to test it when it is.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby sduffey » Mar 16 07 3:25 am

I just wanted report that Wingate VPN did install and work just fine running from a virtual XP desktop in Vista, using Virtual PC 2007.

It takes a bit of time to get it all setup but it is a workaround that should get people by until a Vista compatible version of Wingate VPN is available.
sduffey

Postby adrien » Mar 20 07 5:18 pm

thanks for that

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Following up

Postby ajdionne » Mar 24 07 2:41 pm

Adrien and Matt

Thank you for the constant effort the Wingate team put into this software. Version 6 has been a breeze and it is with great sorrow that I have not been able to VPN anymore for I am all on Vista. Please sign me in for version 7 beta testing. If there is a bug it will find me for sure! I am running a variety of workstations with teenager internet-aholics.

Hum.. Hope the upgrade will be reasonable.

Regards
ajdionne

Postby Thanquet » Apr 01 07 10:09 pm

I just bought a new PC with Vista.
I did not even imagine that Wingate VPN would not be Vista compatible.
This is catastrophic - I do all my work through the VPN.
Please suggest a solution... I have been a Wingate customer for many years and I am very disappointed.
Thérèse
Thanquet

Postby logan » Apr 03 07 2:19 pm

Hi Thanquet,

'sduffey' reported earlier that you can run WinGate in a Virtual XP Desktop environment. This should let you use WinGate under a Vista operating system until WinGate 2007 is released. You may want to investigate this solution for your computer.

sduffey wrote:I just wanted report that Wingate VPN did install and work just fine running from a virtual XP desktop in Vista, using Virtual PC 2007.

It takes a bit of time to get it all setup but it is a workaround that should get people by until a Vista compatible version of Wingate VPN is available.
logan
Qbik Staff

Virtual PC

Postby Thanquet » Apr 04 07 2:55 am

Hi logan,
I tried to follow your suggestion, but the virtual PC will not boot.
I understand that I must have a Windows installation CD for XP, which I do not have (I bought the new PC with Vista installed on it), and install XP on the virtual disk. I can not afford to buy another version of Windows just to make the Wingate VPN run...
Do you have another suggestion?
TIA
Thérèse
Thanquet

Another solution?

Postby Thanquet » Apr 04 07 3:34 am

I have thought of another solution, but I must know from Wingate support whether this will be possible.
Presently I have a VPN license for single user. I use it to access a remote host VPN. If I leave the Wingate VPN software on the "old" (Windows 2000) PC, maybe I could access the resources of the remote VPN from the new Vista machine through the local network and this "old" PC? But I do not have the option to allow participation to the local network. Is this linked to my type of license? Do I need to buy a "gateway" license for the Windows 2000 PC? And can the whole thing work (I would rather not make any unnecessary extra investment)?
TIA
Thérèse
Thanquet

Postby Greg Merrill » Apr 12 07 11:44 am

Can you please send me the beta Vista VPN as well? I have a new computer that has to run Vista :/

And for all of you complaining about Vista you should realize there is numerous companies that are not supporting Vista yet, Mcafee and MICROSOFT being some of them. Yup, microsoft's virus scan program does not support 64 bit Vista. Ironic eh?
Greg Merrill

Postby logan » Apr 12 07 5:44 pm

Hi Greg,

You can find out information about WinGate 2007 and sign up for the public beta at the following location;
http://www.wingate.com/wingate-2007.php
logan
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN