Switch to full style
Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.
Post a reply

client cannot access host shares, host can access clients

Feb 06 07 9:30 pm

Currently just trying to setup Wingate VPN between 2 computers which will then have thier network participants joining through them. However:
*The host can see/ping the client that's connecting, and see his network shares
*The host can see 1 other networked pc (not accessable) at the clients end (not participating yet)
*The client gets a listing of networked pc's at host end, but all list as not accessable.
*The client cannot ping the host via network IP

Client's screenshot

Host's screenshot

Feb 13 07 11:52 am

Hi Honka,

So from the HOST machine everything is fine but from the client nothing is accessible and pinging the server fails?

Have you got any firewalls on the server that could be blocking the connection?

If your client machine connects to our test VPN server can it access the shares?

Is port 809 UDP mapped through from the router to the HOST server? Obviously the TCP port is because you've connected, but data is carried over the UDP port so that needs to be mapped as well.

Feb 13 07 12:12 pm

ok, test sever?, and yes, host can access client's shares, client can't access host's, or ping host on the local ip.

no firewalls on the host machine other than windows firewall which has had port 809 opened, router has both TCP and UDP port 809 mapped to forward aswell.

(my guess if data is transfered through udp that's working, as I can get client's shares

Feb 14 07 12:32 pm

You can download the config file for the test server from here, www.wingate.com/downloads/WGVPN.vpn

Username: test
Password: test

Can you access the shares on there?

(my guess if data is transfered through udp that's working, as I can get client's shares

Not necessarily, as connections out don't need to be mapped. But you said that they're forwarded to the server so that shouldn't be the problem.

Can you try disabling the Windows firewall on the server and see if the shares become accessible?

Thanks,
Post a reply