How to get VPN

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

How to get VPN

Postby mxh » Dec 31 03 6:27 am

Hi,

I am currently running Wingate 4.5.1 and need to add VPN functionality. When I try and install the only VPN option that I can see available from the website, I get the message that Wingate is already installed and I need to add the appropriate VPN licence to WinGate. How do I go about doing that?

I'm asking on here as I've already tried e-mailing support but have had no response.

Alternatively, is there any way I can get my current version of Wingate to forward VPN requests to the main Windows 2003 server, on which I can set up RRAS? Or does this get too complicated?

Thanks

Mike
mxh

Re: How to get VPN

Postby Pascal » Dec 31 03 8:17 am

mxh wrote:Hi,

I am currently running Wingate 4.5.1 and need to add VPN functionality. When I try and install the only VPN option that I can see available from the website, I get the message that Wingate is already installed and I need to add the appropriate VPN licence to WinGate. How do I go about doing that?

Hi Mike,

You'll need a version 5.x license key to enable VPN functionality if you already have a WinGate installation (It's a version 5.x only feature).

What you can do is install version 5.x and force it into trial mode during the installation process. Note, however, that I'd recommend you save your current 4.5.x registry settings, so you can revert back to it if you decide not to purchase a 5.x license key at the end of the trial period.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Re: How to get VPN

Postby mxh » Jan 01 04 3:29 am

Pascal,

Thanks for your reply. Please could you answer the following for me.

1) Is there an upgrade path to allow me to upgrade my 25 user version 4.5.1 to version 5.x, or do I have to buy the licence again?
2) If there is an upgrade path, how do I go about doing this?
3) Do I then need to purchase Wingate VPN separately, or are you saying that VPN functionality is included in Wingate 5.x?
4) If I decide to stick with my current version, can I buy 3 user Wingate VPN (because only 3 users will require this functionality) and install it alongside my existing Wingate 4.5.1

Many thanks

Mike

Pascal wrote:Hi Mike,

You'll need a version 5.x license key to enable VPN functionality if you already have a WinGate installation (It's a version 5.x only feature).

What you can do is install version 5.x and force it into trial mode during the installation process. Note, however, that I'd recommend you save your current 4.5.x registry settings, so you can revert back to it if you decide not to purchase a 5.x license key at the end of the trial period.
mxh

Postby adrien » Jan 01 04 5:41 pm

WinGate 5.x will work with your 4.x key.

If you want to use VPN you will need a VPN key, it should work with your 4.x WinGate key, so upgrading the key should not be required.

There is also an upgrade option available for 4.x to 5.x (which will give you the email server for instance), see our resellers page for a reseller where you can purchase this if you wish.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN