VPN Only Client Setup Question

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

VPN Only Client Setup Question

Postby The Ricster » Jan 01 04 10:27 am

I am testing your VPN product on a W2K (ADV) Server controlled LAN. I only require the VPN sevices since DHCP is handled by a gateway router, as is internet access also, so I turned this services off in Wingate (or so I believe).

My question is about the setup for the clients. First, since it appears that the program is required on any client, so I was wondering if there is any way to streamline the client installation so they do not need to install all the server portions of the program. This would be for remote clients outside the lan, so they would not detect the VPN server on install.

I have created the necessary .VPN file needed to connect. Are there any command line switches to automate the installation for only the services needed?

Also, some more general questions if I may:
    Can multiple clients connect through the same port, which is mapped from the router directly to the wingate machine?

Where do I find which LAN IP is being used by the tunnel. Does it request one from the routers DHCP, besides the hard-coded IP being used by the machine on which it is installed?

When communicating with a remote machine which is also behind a router, do I refer to it by it's own LAN IP, or by the tunnel's IP.

Is any port mapping needed by the client who is behind a router?

Thank you for any assistance !
The Ricster
Ricsterware.com
Software and Network Services
The Ricster

Postby adrien » Jan 01 04 5:38 pm

If you are only using WinGate VPN for its VPN capability, there is no point in installing the WinGate Internet Client anywhere.

You only do a full install of the WinGate VPN software on any gateway node, not every client workstation. So the machine connected to the Internet that talks to the WinGate VPN server over the net, is the only WinGate VPN install on that network, and all client machines on that network access the VPN through that local Wingate VPN installation.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby The Ricster » Jan 02 04 4:40 pm

Adrien, do you mean to say that the wingate program is not needed by a remote client to connect via the wingate vpn server?

If this is so, how is it done? By simply setting up a dial-in(vpn) connection on the client?

Could you explain please?
The Ricster
Ricsterware.com
The Ricster

Postby erwin » Jan 05 04 11:04 am

Hi there Ricster

WinGate VPN (either full WinGate install, or VPN only Gui version) is required to host or join a VPN.

Remote LANs wishing to join a hosted VPN need to have one machine running either WinGate(full) or WinGate VPN (VPN only without the full range of Proxy server features) to create a VPN. So basically as Adrien said, you need WinGate VPN installed and running on a PC at either end of the connection.

Machines on the networks behind these WinGate VPN PC's will be able to see each other in the Virtual Private Network if the WinGateVPN Licencing will allow it.

These machines do not need to have any WinGate software installed.
However I would suggest that you read our white papers on WinGate VPN
and routing so you have a clearer idea of the setup.

http://www.qbik.com/resources.php

WinGate VPN available under the downloads section is a VPN only WinGate (without all the other bells and whistles, proxy services etc as the full version WinGate ) for users who simply want to use WinGate VPN.

>>"Can multiple clients connect through the same port, which is mapped from the router directly to the wingate machine?"
>>"Is any port mapping needed by the client who is behind a router?"

As far as WinGate VPN operating behind a NAT translated firewall router,
Ports 809 udp/tcp (by default) should be mapped to the internal IP of the WinGate VPN machine so that VPN traffic from across the Internet will be sent to this machine once it reaches the routers firewall. You will need to consult your router documentation to see how to make changes in your routers firewall to do this.

WinGateVPN (again dependent on licencing) if hosting a VPN, can handle numerous similtaneous connections from remote VPN clients.

>>"Where do I find which LAN IP is being used by the tunnel. Does it request one from the routers DHCP, besides the hard-coded IP being used by the machine on which it is installed?"

Under the "published routes" in WinGate VPN will show all IP addresses that the machine is publishing across the VPN.

>> "When communicating with a remote machine which is also behind a router, do I refer to it by it's own LAN IP, or by the tunnel's IP."

If routing is correctly configured then you should be able to reach the remote client by the external IP of the router, (as the communication will be passed on to the WinGate VPN machine as I described above)

Hope this helps

Erwin
erwin
Qbik Staff

Postby The Ricster » Jan 06 04 7:43 am

Thanks Erwin,

I understand and appreciate all the answers. But one remains, the original question which spawned this thread, in regards to the Client setup procedure. Can it be instructed to only install the client vpn portions of the program, (via command line parameters or such), OR can it be instructed to disable the unneeded components before/during/after install (via scripting or such)?

This is so an installation package can be distributed to remote users who are non-tech types who require a minimum of configuration information.

Many thanks again for the help.
The Ricster
Ricsterware.com
The Ricster

Postby erwin » Jan 07 04 9:33 am

Hi there

Unfortunately the "client" install config/automation that you require is for WinGate VPN is not possible at the moment, however it is a good suggestion and something we have been considering for the future, to assist with ease of distribution, installation and setup for our customers.

Cheers
Erwin
erwin
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN