We are connected. Can't browse each other. help (with pic)

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

We are connected. Can't browse each other. help (with pic)

Postby wolf5 » Jan 02 04 6:51 am

Hi. A friend and me are trying to set up a Wingate VPN for gaming mostly (Warcraft3 etc..).

We get as far as to connect to each other. But thats about it.

The published routes seems to be correct but we can not ping each other.
I am the server ("THOMAS1") and he is the client on "FIDO". "DRAGON" is another machine on his network.

My LAN is 192.168.0.* (my machine is 192.168.0.107 and 192.168.0.101 (2 IPs on the same nic))

His LAN is 192.168.1.* (fido: 192.168.1.4, dragon: 192.168.1.2)

We are both behind a router/gateway(NAT) to the Internet.

No firewalls installed locally on either machine.

1. Is there anything obviously wrong here?

2. Do I need any RIP client if there is only going to be connections from the VPN server and clients and not from/to any of the other machines on the LANs?

3. What Networking protocols are required to use WinGate VPN. TCP/IP is obvious, but is Netbios required?

-Wolf5

Here are some overview pics of my settings
wolf5

Postby The Ricster » Jan 04 04 10:08 pm

I had this problem before, and I seem to remember checking the "Local Participation" setting at each machine, and setting it to "Local Network". The "(not accessible)" notation at the local machines are an indicator of this.
The Ricster
Ricsterware.com
Software and Network Services
The Ricster

Postby wolf5 » Jan 05 04 2:44 am

I can browse my own shares. I'm the Thomas1 machine.
I just can't see anything wrong with the setup here.

We connect to each other without problems, but when trying to ping there is no response (timeout) . It's like the wingatevpn prog never sends the data on to the client. I have manually added, but it doesn't make a difference. If I manually add routes, there will be a conflict under "Published Routes" on the GUI (but this would be obvious).

To bad the program doesn't have an internal ping program where it traces where an error might occur.

Basically the setup is as I have read throughout both this and the old forum.

1 wingate vpn server, 1 wingate vpn client, both on different subnets (192.168.1.* and 192.168.0.*). Tunnels are opened. No errors in the "History" log whatsoever. Routes are published. Have also tried manually adding the routes. No RIP client is required. We are not accessing other machines than the 2 with the wingate vpn software connecting each other. Firewalls off or disabled (mind its Sygate firewall on my side, which also logs the traffic. I can see what machines are trying to send me data, what ports etc.).

Still we can not ping each other.

-Wolf5
wolf5

Postby ALien » Jan 07 04 10:41 am

What if you both use the default control ports? I think it is 809.
ALien

Postby wolf5 » Jan 07 04 10:25 pm

Also tried the default ports.
wolf5

Return to WinGate VPN