VPN Connection timed out. IP 0.0.0.0

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Postby dutchmen » Jan 06 04 10:38 am

Hai.

I have got a strange problem. I have tested wingate at mine "test garden" with two different subnets (10.0.0.1 and 192.168.0.1) with no router. I have setup a pc with 2 networkcards, install wingate vpn and I was able to make connections through VPN. Now I have move the machine to a collega and I made a new certificate and everything works fine (same configuration as mine test at home). Back to home, install the vpn software (wingate client newest version) and I cannot make a connection. I see in the system messages" host timed out with a IP of 0.0.0.0 and I see the same message at the other side. I can do a tracert to his router.
So mine question is what to do abouth this and wat went wrong here.

Thanks in advance
Dirk Dutchmen
dutchmen

Re: VPN Connection timed out. IP 0.0.0.0

Postby Pascal » Jan 06 04 11:28 am

dutchmen wrote:software (wingate client newest version) and I cannot make a connection. I see in the system messages" host timed out with a IP of 0.0.0.0 and I see the same message at the other side. I can do a tracert to his router.

It sounds as if everything was working fine initially. When you made the first connection after installing the software at collega everything worked, correct ?

Two things to try:

1. As he has a router, make sure that the appropriate pinholes are setup to forward TCP and UDP on port 809 to the hosting server

2. Ensure that the IP it should connect to is correct on the client's configuration.

The easiest way to test that the TCP connection can be established (Without using VPN itself for quick testing) is to simply telnet to the ip:port where the port defaults to 809.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby dutchmen » Jan 07 04 9:30 pm

Thanks for your replay.

I have tried to make a telnet session and this doesn't work. So The problem lies with the router. I will examin this and post a replay.

Thanks
Dirk
dutchmen

Postby dutchmen » Jan 08 04 7:54 am

I have talked with some people of demon and they informed me that there are no ports blocked. So back to 0. Later this day I examind the VPN master again and I noticed something very stange. Because I have tested this local I made a change to the gateway (pointing to his self). I have change this to de right default gateway and every thing workes fine. I really feel asame of this mistake. I should know better.

I want to close this thread and thanks for your assistens.

Regards

Dirk
dutchmen

Return to WinGate VPN