When VPN Joined, internet no longer accessible.

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

When VPN Joined, internet no longer accessible.

Postby jasonbuchheim » Jan 08 04 3:05 pm

Hi,

I am trying the newer version of Wingate VPN.

I can successfully connect to the host, and can browse the host.

When connected to the host, I loose the ability to browse or connect to the internet.

Immediately upon dissconecting from the VPN host, I can again browse the internet.

The host and client are on different local subnets 192.168.0.2 host and 192.168.5.100 client

Maybe this is unrelated, but when setting up initially, upon trying to browse the remote network, I got a network login for a COMPUTER-NAME/guest account. I am not sure what fixed the problem, but we enabled the guest account on the host computer via control panel users, and then on Gatekeeper, gave the guest account a password, and on Windows Explorer- Tools, choose to disable "Use Simple File Sharing" and this allowed us to browse the remote computer by putting in the guest account password. Somehow this seems wrong to me. I would have prefered to log in with a named account, but the selection was grayed out.
When I tried this program before, I never had any of these problems.

Thanks

Jason
jasonbuchheim

Postby erwin » Jan 09 04 4:02 pm

Hi Jason

Just a few questions so we can narrow the problem

What type of Internet connection are you using when this occurs, ? is it dialup,dsl etc...?

When you say you lose the ability to browse the Internet, which machine are you referring? Is it the client machines behind the WinGate Server that is joining the host.

Or is it the clients on the network behind the Host WinGate that lose this ability?

Regards
Erwin
erwin
Qbik Staff

Postby wolf5 » Jan 10 04 12:57 am

Can it be that you have not set a Default Gateway manually and when you connect to the remote VPN, you might get his machine(his LAN ip) as your default gateway? If he is running a DHCP server on his side (enabled on the WingateVPN server) and you/him have commented in the use of UDP broadcast for DHCP, that may change your IPCONFIG settings.

Do a IPCONFIG from a command window before and after a connect. See if the Default Gateway changes.

If it changes, that is your problem. If so try setting it manually to the same IP as you got from your IPCONFIG prior to your vpn connection.

-Wolf5
wolf5

Postby jasonbuchheim » Jan 13 04 7:02 pm

Hi, on further investigation I discovered that my router gateway, which was getting its ip address through DHCP from a DSL modem was getting the ip address 192.168.5.5 but that my DNS was 192.168.1.1 (my DSL modem).

The computer I was connecting to was getting an IP address of 192.168.1.2 from a gateway router with an address of 192.168.1.1 (it was connected to a cable modem with a public IP address)

So when connected by the VPN, there was actually two instances of 192.168.1.1 (my DSL modem, which does serve as a DNS) and the VPN connected router, which has no DNS ability.

This was solved by changing the remote router to a base ip of 192.168.2.1.

My IPCONFIGs were not moving around upon connection, but the other 192.168.1.1 becomes the dominant when connected and I could therefore not resolve domain names.

Thanks for your comments!

Jason
jasonbuchheim

Return to WinGate VPN