NetPatrol Setup???

Technical support forum for Qbik NetPatrol - our new Intrusion Detection System.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

NetPatrol Setup???

Postby mcb » Oct 20 04 8:29 am

I have looked over the white papers and knowledge base, but have found little to nothing on how to set up NetPatrol. I am using the demo now to see if we want to use it in our Network. But so far I am not impressed. There doesn't even seem to be a help in the program itself. Where can i find basic information on how to implement NetPatrol on my network. At this point I am not sure how it can help me.

Thanks,

Matt
mcb

Postby genie » Oct 20 04 9:21 am

Hi,
NetPatrol help file will be available for download today.
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby genie » Oct 20 04 9:24 am

Meanwhile, what seems to be a problem with your setup? Anything I can be of any help?
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby mcb » Oct 20 04 9:30 am

thanks Genie,

I need info on how to get started from the ground up. Everything from where in the Network it would be best to install the software. What it is expected to do and what i can get from it. Right now it is just monitoring my localhost and that is very limited in scope.

How do i get it to scan my network as a whole in a 'promiscuous' mode? How do i alert myself when intruders have made it into the network? How do i alert myself when certain ports have been accessed.

Just the basics. I need an introductory overview for i have no idea of where to start and what i should be seeing.

Thanks,

Matt
mcb

Postby genie » Oct 20 04 10:11 am

Sure - the help file covers all those things.

Anyway, to start with NetPatrol setup is relatively painless.
After you install the software one thing that you have to do is to set up your home networks - i.e. all the subnets and standalone machines that you consider internal/trusted/home. This is done in Edit/Configure dialog, push buttons "Networks". The other thing you might consider doing is to set up your SMTP server ("SMTP" button). Having set up the SMTP data you allow NetPatrol to send out email notification about potentially dangerous activities. Yet another bit to set up is Wingate firewall connectivity (Plugins/WGFirewall) - if you have Wingate installed.

Then you restart the service (Edit/Restart service) and that's it - NetPatrol is ready.

Since NP is a passive IDS, it does not scan your network (except for sniffer sweep request). It listens to all the packets it receives and tries to identify potentially dangerous patterns in the traffic.
genie
Qbik Staff

Help DL

Postby mcb » Oct 21 04 3:58 am

Where can the help file be downloaded?

Thanks,

Matt

p.s. you guys are great! The quickest responses of any Forum i subscribe too. Next time i am in New Zealand i will buy you a cold something or other.
mcb

Postby genie » Oct 21 04 8:51 am

:)))))))))))))))))) Matt will surely appreciate that! :)

If you download the latest installer (available now) help file is included there.
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby mcb » Oct 21 04 9:13 am

Oh, my bad.

I was thinking just a help file published to swap.

I will uninstall and DL the new build.

Thanks again,

Matt
mcb

Postby genie » Oct 21 04 10:26 am

Well, there is another reason to update - we fixed one quite unpleasant bug related to case-insensitive pattern processing.
genie
Qbik Staff

Help File

Postby mcb » Oct 23 04 8:00 am

Which download has the help file? I downloaded NetP 1.1.1 and it didn't have anything different. When i checked the help it came up as build 15.

Also the .msi folder will never download. It just hangs in the browser forever.

I navigated to the download folder on the 334pair site. I try downloading the 1.1.1.msi there but same result. I was able to get the 1.1.1.exe to come over. But is that one that does not have the help file?

Thanks,

Matt
mcb

Postby genie » Oct 23 04 3:19 pm

There is a help file which is installed in the start menu - the CHM one.
genie
Qbik Staff

Return to NetPatrol