Unable to virus scan files/folders

Forum for support for the Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate plugin

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Unable to virus scan files/folders

Postby 17Spots » Oct 07 03 6:26 am

When trying to scan files/folders using the AV plug-in I receive the following error message: "Anti-Virus plugin for Wingate was unable to initialize the COM interfaces neccessary to scan files" and of course it doesnt scan. Any idea what the problem might be? The plugin seems to be working otherwise. It catches viruses at incoming ports. An odd consequence seems to be that whenever I generate that message, I cannot logoff/restart/shutdown the box it is installed on and I must do a hard shutdown to be able to logoff/restart/shutdown once more.

Wingate 5.0.7 (No DHCP or ENS)
AV plugin
Gatefilter plugin
Windows 2000 Pro SP3
Clients run WGIC to identify users to Gatekeeper (logging)

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Fritz L.
17Spots

Re: Unable to virus scan files/folders

Postby Nev » Oct 08 03 1:39 am

G'day,

What happens if you open the Update module in the system tray and click on the AV Engine tab and then select 'Reset COM Objects' or similar from memory?

Report back perhaps and someone will be able to take it further!

Nev.
Nev
WinGate Guru

Postby 17Spots » Oct 08 03 4:27 am

Nev,
Heh, I should've posted that I tried that. The Reset COM objects button goes grey for about 5 sec. then becomes available again. Trying to scan after that yields the same result.

Fritz L.
17Spots

Postby Nev » Oct 08 03 9:55 pm

G'day,

Think [entirely from memory] that the 'other webboard' [Deerfield.com] had a reference to this issue, something like add/remove and delete a component directory.

Then re-install.

Best to search that resource to be sure how it was to be done!

Good luck.

Nev.
Nev
WinGate Guru

Postby 17Spots » Oct 11 03 6:19 am

Nev,
Well, I went to the 'other' forum. The advice I found was to uninstall the plugin/delete the VAV shared folder/re-install the plugin. I did this to no avail. I do not/never did have NAV installed on that box which was another possibility. Im kinda at a loss here.

Fritz L.
17Spots

Postby Nev » Oct 11 03 5:07 pm

G'day,

Frustrating huh!

On the plugin tab 'AV Engine' [where > 'Reset COM Objects' ] what engine's are loaded?

Have you any other AVP/eScan/Kaspersky.lab/Visnetic A-v on the system at all?

Nev.
Nev
WinGate Guru

Engine versions

Postby 17Spots » Oct 14 03 5:11 am

Single thread engine version: 4.0.1.19
Multi-thread engine version: 4.0.2.17

No, this machine runs wingate+plugs only, installed after a clean OS installation about 6 months ago.

Fritz L.
17Spots

Re: Engine versions

Postby Nev » Oct 14 03 11:54 am

G'day,

My server is now showing and utilising the VAV plugin for the first time since May '03.

Somewhere deep in the registry something prohibited it from accepting the licence key, it appeared to be the presence of another similar A/v product that triggered the problem, irrespective of whether it was licenced or demo mode!

Solved by emptying partition and rebuilding Win2k pro.

Plugin refused to work initially until both Wingate 5.0.10 and Plugin VAV 4.2x were re-installed, that seemed to cure the problem so far.

Good luck.

Nev.
Nev
WinGate Guru

Postby erwin » Oct 17 03 8:50 am

Hi there,

There was a COM object issue regarding file scanning, in an earlier version of Visnetic Antivirus from Deerfield that is required to make the AV plug-in on WinGate work.

This was due to COM objects not having the proper security set by the Visnetic AV a Windows 2000 OS. The simplest way to fix the problem is to update your Visnetic Antivirus from Deerfield as they have now fixed this issue, in recent versions.

Regards
Erwin
erwin
Qbik Staff

Postby 17Spots » Oct 28 03 7:41 am

Erwin,
Thanks for the heads up. However I was only 1 build behind and updating to the current build didnt alleviate the problem. A permissions issue does sound promising. I did check the Distributed COM objects applet (dcomcnfg). I assumed that the plugin uses the "klav" and/or "klavvlg" object. The permissions were set to defaults (the user using the box) for both.

Fritz
17Spots

Return to Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate