Kavss.exe locks wingate

Forum for support for the Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate plugin

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Kavss.exe locks wingate

Postby andrea_nini » Apr 13 04 11:02 pm

I have Wingate 5.2.3 and Kaspersky Antivirus 1.2.2, every 2-3 days the kavss.exe process goes to 100% CPU occupation and blocks WWW wingate service. Only stopping and restarting wingate engine resolves the problem. Before installing Kaspersky Antivirus, Wingate has been active for month without any problem. Do you have some advice? Thanks.
andrea_nini

Postby Pascal » Apr 16 04 6:40 pm

Is there any indication of what kind of traffic is going through KAVSS at the time ?

Does that time coincide with a scheduled update of the AntiVirus database ?
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby andrea_nini » Apr 22 04 10:49 pm

I've found one specific problem (don't know if it's the only):

Using the client FTPExplorer (from FTPx Corp.) with the flag "Use Firewall" and connecting to Wingate with Kaspersky Antivirus plug-in on port 21, I try to download or upload a zip file (50 Mb of ascii file) and the kavss task goes to 50%-60%, slowing the server, if I abort the transfer, the task remains slow and the CPU busy. Starting another transfer slows down the CPU to 100% and wingate freezes.

If I disable the Kaspersky Antivirus OR disable the flag "Use Firewall", the problem disappears.

Now (disabling the flag "Use Firewall") Wingate works, I'll let you know if the problem shows up again.
andrea_nini

Postby andrea_nini » Apr 22 04 11:18 pm

I realize now that I must enable the option "Use Firewall", without it the FTP client can't go outside the LAN. With this option the FTP client uses the Wingate machine as firewall: it is configured as a "USER user@hostname" firewall type (other type doesn't work).

So now I've disabled the Kaspersky Antivirus and the FTP goes well (I'm not very satisfied, but I hope that it's a temporary solution).
andrea_nini

Postby Pascal » Apr 23 04 10:07 am

There will be some CPU activity while the AntiVirus is busy scanning the data stream. That is normal, even as high as 50 or 60%, simply because of the volume of data involved. (List of virusses, size of the file, etc.) What you could also do is double check the scanning options. There are two options (Heuristic and Scan broken files) which significantly increase the scanning time.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Return to Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate