Moderator: Qbik Staff

Update could not be completed

Postby markt » May 28 04 10:27 pm

For the last week or so Wingate is logging the, usually successful,
uodate status for Kasperksy:

Object: Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate
Time: 28-May-2004 10:00:15
Message ID: 0000
Description: Data file update for 'Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate' could not be completed

The date stamp on the updates does confirm that nothing
has been updating for some time - no major config changes
have taken place - help!

Wingate 5.2.3
Kaspersky 1.2
Windows 2000 pro, ADSL link

Wingate PC is dedicated to the task, nothing else is running.

Thanks

Mark
markt

Postby markt » Jun 30 04 11:59 pm

This problem is now happening at a second site, fortunately
the internal mail server at both sites has AV scanning so
we are still catching newer viruses that KAV knows nothing about.

Can anyone from Qbik help, please?

Mark
markt

Postby Pascal » Jul 01 04 12:34 am

Does a manual update succeed ?
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby Nev » Jul 01 04 12:58 am

markt wrote:This problem is now happening at a second site, fortunately
the internal mail server at both sites has AV scanning so
we are still catching newer viruses that KAV knows nothing about.

Can anyone from Qbik help, please?

Mark

Hi Mark,

Sorry not from Qbik but -

Running: C:\Program Files\WinGate\Plugins\Kaspersky AntiVirus\UpdateKAV.exe shows a list of sites, are they pingable from the server?

Report back and someone will take it further.
Nev.
Nev
WinGate Guru

Postby markt » Jul 01 04 1:03 am

Hi Nev,

Apologies, I missed some info from my post.
'Some' files are being downloaded, I proved this by
clearing the folder they are stored in, forced the update and
watched them come down. The status message then appears, so
yes to answer your question the sites are pingable.

thanks
markt

Postby rbaal » Jul 01 04 6:40 pm

He is not alone - I have just installed WinGate and the Virus scanner - the update utility is bringing down some files but reports that the update has failed

Thanks
rbaal

Postby Pascal » Jul 01 04 6:50 pm

What happens if you run the manual updater ? (On the start menu)
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby markt » Jul 01 04 11:11 pm

Pascal,

The end result is the same firing the update from
either within Gatekeeper or the KAV update application.
markt

Postby rbaal » Jul 02 04 11:42 am

In my case the manual updater seems to suceed
I installed another VPN node today and it has the same problem. When you try and update from within WinGate it puts up a "failed to update " system message at once.
rbaal

Postby rbaal » Jul 02 04 12:05 pm

OK two identical installs. On both the update inside WinGate fails.
On one the manual updater works and updates the virus defs, on the other the manual updater says it works but fails to actually update the files (dated October2003).

What do I check now?

Bob
rbaal

Postby erwin » Jul 02 04 2:18 pm

Hi there Mark and Bob,

Just to make sure of the functionality of the KAV updates with WinGate working as it should I have retested several scenarios for you, just this morning in the lab.

WinGate 5.2.3
WinGate 6.0 ( beta 3)
Modem Connection
External IP Connection

Unfortunately I couldnt find any issues with reaching the Kaspersky update sites with either the KAV plugin updater inside WinGate or the KAV downloader found on the start menu.

In all cases I made sure that there was valid/working Internet connection (and WinGate was aware of it) available before I instigated the update.

Regardless of the last update date shown in the config, WinGate will use the virus definitions it finds in the bases folder. Due to the way WinGate works in conjunction with the KAV plug-in the correct update date will show up in the KAV config only after WinGate has needed to scan client traffic (and as a result called the bases folder containing the definitions). Once this has happened if you go offline and then online in GateKeeper you will see the change.

Of course you can shortcut this process by simply stopping and starting the WinGate engine after the update to reflect the changes.

Regards
Erwin
erwin
Qbik Staff

Postby Nev » Jul 02 04 5:03 pm

erwin wrote:
Regardless of the last update date shown in the config, WinGate will use the virus definitions it finds in the bases folder. Due to the way WinGate works in conjunction with the KAV plug-in the correct update date will show up in the KAV config only after WinGate has needed to scan client traffic (and as a result called the bases folder containing the definitions). Once this has happened if you go offline and then online in GateKeeper you will see the change.

Of course you can shortcut this process by simply stopping and starting the WinGate engine after the update to reflect the changes.

Regards
Erwin

Hi Erwin,

To confirm from your post in reference to this thread: http://forums.qbik.com/viewtopic.php?t=2109 if the simple UNC path copy process is invoked by the scheduled task then the next time this installation scans traffic for a client it will be utilising the code signatures from the \bases directory irrespective of the apparent date in the UI showing days & or weeks earlier.

If so that is excellent and I have nothing to worry about for this installation to go ahead!

Thanks.
Nev.
Nev
WinGate Guru

Postby erwin » Jul 06 04 4:11 pm

Hi Nev

My apologies for sending you a little astray in my last post.

I have discussed your particular issue further with Pascal
(i.e. Your scenario of WinGate running Kaspersky Antivirus Plugin for WinGate with no internet access http://forums.qbik.com/viewtopic.php?t=2109 )

It seems that when the Kaspersky updater/updating procedure happens it somehow informs/notifies Kaspersky AV engine of the updated definitions (and so provides the immediate protection of updated definitions) but the update entry is not reflected in the Kaspersky AV Plugin Gui we have created in GateKeeper, until after a WinGate engine restart.

Of course in your situation since neither version of the Updater (start menu KAV or inside WinGate) is used the Kaspersky engine will not be notified until a WinGate engine restart.

We currently inquiring with Kaspersky Labs as to how this KAV engine notification happens, and will keep you posted.

So at the moment the only suggestion for your situation is a manual stop and start of the WinGate engine after copying the updated files.

Regards
Erwin
erwin
Qbik Staff

Postby Nev » Jul 07 04 3:44 am

erwin wrote:Hi Nev

My apologies for sending you a little astray in my last post.

I have discussed your particular issue further with Pascal
(i.e. Your scenario of WinGate running Kaspersky Antivirus Plugin for WinGate with no internet access http://forums.qbik.com/viewtopic.php?t=2109 )

It seems that when the Kaspersky updater/updating procedure happens it somehow informs/notifies Kaspersky AV engine of the updated definitions (and so provides the immediate protection of updated definitions) but the update entry is not reflected in the Kaspersky AV Plugin Gui we have created in GateKeeper, until after a WinGate engine restart.

Of course in your situation since neither version of the Updater (start menu KAV or inside WinGate) is used the Kaspersky engine will not be notified until a WinGate engine restart.

We currently inquiring with Kaspersky Labs as to how this KAV engine notification happens, and will keep you posted.

So at the moment the only suggestion for your situation is a manual stop and start of the WinGate engine after copying the updated files.

Regards
Erwin

Great, thanks Erwin & Pascal, oh well it is deployed today and all traffic is working seamlessly so far, as for the KAV I have it controlled by the scheduled tasks and 'will be better late than never' type performance anyway.

In a few days I'll know if it's 'go ahead' with user feedback.

Thank you.

Nev.
Nev
WinGate Guru

Having to disable KAV Plugin

Postby markt » Jul 07 04 4:10 am

Any further ideas on the original post please?

KAV is now having to be disabled at least once a day, I am not
convinced it is external to the Wingate / KAV setup as previously
suggested (i.e. the internal mail server causing the issue).

The downloading hangs on anything from 2k to multi MB messages,
html, ms/tnef, richtext, plain text all flavours.

Mark.
markt

Postby erwin » Jul 07 04 1:58 pm

Hi Mark

Sorry Im a little confused by your last post, so Im going to ask some questions just to reclarify your problem

From your original post:
Object: Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate
Time: 28-May-2004 10:00:15
Message ID: 0000
Description: Data file update for 'Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate' could not be completed
The date stamp on the updates does confirm that nothing
has been updating for some time - no major config changes
have taken place - help!
Wingate 5.2.3
Kaspersky 1.2
Windows 2000 pro, ADSL link
Wingate PC is dedicated to the task, nothing else is running.

Are you still having problems receiving updates for the KAVplugin.?
As I mentioned in earlier post I have restested the functionality of this with both a DSL and ordinary modem connection and couldnt reproduced your error.
Even emptying the Bases folder (WinGate\Plugins\Kaspersky\Bases) completely, and redoing the update from both points (inside WinGate KAV Plugin config and from the start menu
WinGate\Plugins\KasperskyUpdate.exe). After the download/update and stopping and starting the WinGate engine the correct details were shown.

From your latest post
KAV is now having to be disabled at least once a day, I am not
convinced it is external to the Wingate / KAV setup as previously
suggested (i.e. the internal mail server causing the issue).

The downloading hangs on anything from 2k to multi MB messages,
html, ms/tnef, richtext, plain text all flavours.

Is the KAV update download hanging? or are your referring to WinGate Proxy Services that are being scanned by KAV plugin?

Let us know

Regards
Erwin
erwin
Qbik Staff

Return to Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate