KAV not updating

Forum for support for the Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate plugin

Moderator: Qbik Staff

KAV not updating

Postby han » Jul 20 04 3:43 am

Hi there,

Since 18 July 19 UTC KAV has been failing to update. Normally updates are performed every hour. Rather than giving the message the update has been completed I'm now getting the message:

07/18/04 21:00:20 Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate Data file update for 'Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate' could not be completed

Any thoughts on what could be causting this?
han

Postby adrien » Jul 20 04 4:27 am

Hi

do you get any other system log messages at this time as well? Like from the License Manager?

Does the license still show as valid?

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

kav not updating

Postby han » Jul 20 04 5:22 am

Hi Adrien,

No its definitely not a license problem. The license shows as being valid till May 2005. I've initiated a manual update through the plug-in button, this gives the same result. I then tried manual updating by directly starting KAVupdate in the wingate -> plugin directory; this shows all the update sites ticked but gives no result either. I've got KAV desktop running on other machines and these are updating without a hitch. KAV for Wingate maintains its unable to complete the update. The system log shows no other entries apart from the odd firewall logging.

Regards,

Han.
han

files are being downloaded

Postby han » Jul 20 04 9:11 am

Hi there,

Further to my last message I took a look in the bases directory. I can see all the files which were loaded last night before this message of downloads not being completed started. Also I can see files which are downloaded at the top of the hour (the time set for downloading) but which are somehow completed. They all show sizes varying from 1 to 4 kB. So it seems they are being downloaded but the process is somehow stopped after a short time.

Hope this extra info will help you in finding whats going on.

Regards,

Han.
han

Postby labull » Jul 20 04 10:30 am

Same problem here begining 2200 14 July.

Update at 2100 same date was successful.

Version is lastest 6.0 Beta.

Larry
WinGate Lurker
labull
WinGate Guru

problem seems solved

Postby han » Jul 21 04 9:47 am

Ok, rebooted last night and then did a manual update which was succesful and booted down for the night. This morning system was started again, did a manual update which was succesful. All hourly automatic update since then are being reported as succesful. Don't know what caused this glitch but it seems to have passed.

Han.
han

Postby labull » Jul 21 04 10:02 am

Reboot has cleared the problem for me also!

But I've rebooted several times since this began.

Must be magic.

Larry
WinGate Lurker
labull
WinGate Guru

Postby adrien » Jul 21 04 10:52 am

I wonder if the problem could be on the Kaspersky Labs server end...
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby labull » Jul 21 04 11:04 am

I for one am certainly willing to blame them!

Larry
WinGate Lurker
labull
WinGate Guru

Postby Rolf » Aug 09 04 1:46 am

I'm sorry to say - but I still have the problem.

Replacing an old hardware I had to start from scratch.

NT4-Ws, SP6a, all fixes
WinGate 5.2.3 (just downloaded)
KAV 1.2.2 (just downloaded) self installing version

After solving the problem with the old license key (different thread) I'm now looking for a solution with the update problem. Manual update works. Several attempts with complete deinstallation and reinstallation have shown no success. Rebooting doesn't help either. :-((

What can I do?

Rolf
Rolf

Postby Moros » Aug 22 05 11:40 pm

Rolf wrote:...
After solving the problem with the old license key (different thread) I'm now looking for a solution with the update problem. Manual update works. Several attempts with complete deinstallation and reinstallation have shown no success. Rebooting doesn't help either. :-((
Rolf

Got the same problem. KAV 1.22 with trial license, latest version of wingate, computer is a NT4 SP6 Workstation.
Manual updates work, automatic update aborts with "Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate' could not be completed".
Can anybody help me?
Moros

Postby jamesc » Aug 26 05 7:10 pm

You are correct. This is an issues with NT 4 and KAV. We have been looking at alternative ways to automatically do this for you and other NT 4 users. One option is to fix this by adding command line options to the KAVUpdater, although our development team are investigating to see if there are other workarounds.
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Postby Moros » Sep 01 05 8:50 pm

Thanks for your reply. I set up an new WinGate with KAV on a Win2k machine and it worked perfectly.
Moros

Postby serginho » Sep 28 05 6:37 am

Hi,

Suddenly same problem in Win98SE. What command line switches are there to use with UpdateKAV.exe?
serginho

Postby Pascal » Sep 28 05 7:19 pm

The command line switches are not there. What you can do is ensure that you have the latest MFC components available to the plugin, as the updating DLL loaded requires MFC42.dll to be of the latest version. The correct minimum version is shipped with the plugin in it's folder. If you copy that to the WinGate folder it should resolve the problem for you.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby serginho » Sep 30 05 9:07 am

Thanks!

Throwing the file into WinGate folder solved the problem
serginho

Postby serginho » Nov 30 05 2:28 am

Not that easy.... It's not updating since November 22

What now????

Upgrade to V2? Only if it's for free. My customer bought a working product, not a afailed one

Thanks
serginho

Postby MattP » Dec 05 05 10:38 am

Yes, it's a free upgrade if you've already got a valid license. You'll need to activate your license for KAV version 2, just the same as the WinGate license activation.
MattP
Qbik Staff

Postby serginho » Dec 07 05 6:50 am

Hi,

I'm very sorry for being rude in my last post, but I was really p'd. off. Please accept my appologies.

A reboot of the system put everything working again, but I couldn't refrain from asking this:

Ok, upgrade from KAV 1.x to KAV 2.x is free...but as far as understood the statements in Qbik's site, 2.x will only work with WG 6.1.x or grater. So, I'll still have to buy an upgrade to 6.1.x... or, is it still possible to upgrade to a newer WG version for free, just remembering the newer features won't work?
serginho

Postby Pascal » Dec 07 05 11:01 am

Yes, you can always use an older version license key with a newer version. You will not get the new features though, but many improvements are available. Be aware though that version 6 onwards require activation as well.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Return to Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate