KAV and WRP/WGIC

Forum for support for the Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate plugin

Moderator: Qbik Staff

KAV and WRP/WGIC

Postby Jens » Jul 22 04 2:32 am

Does KAV work when for services where clients access internet via WGIC and WRP? My initial attempts indicate no, but there may be some configuration I got wrong.

Jens
Jens

Postby MattP » Jul 22 04 12:00 pm

Hi Jens,

You will have to turn on Transparent Redirection (TR) in the WWW proxy, this will capture the WGIC connection and force it through the proxy where it will be scanned by KAV.

Regards,

Matt
MattP
Qbik Staff

Postby Jens » Jul 22 04 11:01 pm

Thanks, I had turned on transparent proxy but I was testing using the server running WinGate. When I repeated the test from a PC on the network infected files where being correctly intercepted.
Unfortunately this brings up a new question, can I get files scanned also when the files are downloaded to the PC running WinGate? The application I am testing will typically use the PC running WinGate for other tasks in addition to running the server.
Jens

Postby MattP » Jul 23 04 9:46 am

If you set your applications to use a proxy and point them to either the localhost address or the internal IP address of the WinGate server then you'll get virus scanning through the proxy services.

Matt
MattP
Qbik Staff

Postby Jens » Jul 23 04 10:58 pm

Thanks for quick response Matt, seems that most issues are a matter of not having set the right configuration. But for a newbie to proxies it is not always self evident what to do.
Jens

Postby Jens » Jul 30 04 5:49 am

The www proxy seems to work fine when I set the browser to use the proxy. I am not able to get ftp to work properly from the Gateway PC. If I set the ftp client to access internet directly I can download files but KAV does not intecept the files (and the datavolume is not accounted in user accounts). I have not been able to connect to remote ftp servers if I set the clients to go through the WG ftp proxy. I would appreciate some advice on how to configure the ftp client and WinGate in this respect.

The client PCs on the LAN use WGIC and in this case KAV works partly, attempts to download infected files fail on first transfer attempt but if the ftp client has automatic retry then the infected files downloads successfully on the automatic retry. Even ticking "Disabled ftp restarts" in the ftp proxy server did not prevent the infected files getting through.

I am testing on the new release 6.0.0.
Jens

Return to Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate