QBik & Kaspersky

Forum for support for the Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate plugin

Moderator: Qbik Staff

QBik & Kaspersky

Postby mikeout » Aug 27 04 11:38 pm

I'm not certain that Kaspersky is putting enough effort into supporting the Wingate Plug-in.

Development seems slow.

The plug in always fails the "Attachment with a CLSID extension" test from Testvirus.Org...always has. Slack.

The intermittent problem receiving updates has now been going for far too long.

There is little users can do to chase Kaspersky as purchases (and therefore contract) is via QBik.

Please Qbik, get a grip of Kaspersky...you've got a fantastic product, which is rendered disappointing by your business partner.

Thank you in anticipation of glitch free auto-updates, and improved anti-virus protection.

Mike Hawkins
mikeout

Postby mikeout » Sep 09 04 11:56 pm

Hmm...no response.

Am I the only user who thinks that the Kaspersky plug-in is flakey?

Am I the only one who is not getting reliable virus definition updates?
mikeout

Postby Nev » Sep 10 04 1:13 am

mikeout wrote:Hmm...no response.

Am I the only user who thinks that the Kaspersky plug-in is flakey?

Am I the only one who is not getting reliable virus definition updates?

Hi Mike,

Well I'd say KAV is a 'quantum leap' in the SOHO [& some home users as well] Security area, where I deploy most of my Wingate's.

As for reliable signature updates, haven't had a problem from Australia. Most sites on DSL are set to hourly without fail.

Then we don't live in a perfect world either.

Good luck!

Nev.
Nev
WinGate Guru

Postby Pascal » Sep 10 04 9:59 am

Well, we use it for our own antivirus protection. It's been very very good to us thus far - to the point that we've replaced our mainstream antivirus system with this gateway based solution.

Like Nev says, it's not a perfect world. Yes, there is a problem with the updates - this is an acknowledged bug from Kaspersky - we have a new SDK and we're in the process of implementing and testing it. Things will get better and better.

Naturally though, we're looking into the different areas where we can improve the product as well before we just kick a new release out the door.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby mikeout » Sep 10 04 10:34 pm

Pascal, many thanks for your response.

The fact that you are working on improving the system is music to my ears.

The gateway based system is precisely what I have been looking for - but my concern about un-reliable updating has somewhat undermined my confidence regrding effective virus trapping.

The update problem being "acknowledged" by Kaspersky is not really sufficient is it? Not when it has gone on for quite a while. That was my original point - all your fantastic hard work is not being matched by Kaspersky.

Virus definition updating is so fundamentally important (and seemingly so easy to implement by other anti-virus manufacturers) that you would think that they would have got this covered.

Thanks again for your reply, and also for an excellent product - in Wingate, and I look forward to things getting "better and better".

Mike Hawkins
mikeout

Postby Pascal » Sep 11 04 12:03 am

Hi Mike,

The same SDK and engine is in use when Kaspersky is deploying a desktop antivirus solution and when we're implementing a gateway solution (To the best of my knowledge, at least). And in recent tests by PC Authority, Kaspersky labs was the only company to score a 100% detection rate in both virus and trojan/malware.

We received a new SDK from them which fixes the update problem. So that provided us with a fix for it. Initial testing of it was very encouraging, I had two or three updates running simultaneously without any problems. But obviously, something of this scope should be tested to a very large degree - and we're looking at alternative means of implementing it. (There are many different paths into their SDK, each with their own advantages and disadvantages)

In any event, we are working on it - and we have a solid commitment from Kaspersky as well.

Regards,

Pascal
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby mikeout » Sep 11 04 1:19 am

Hi Pascal,

Many thanks for your full and interesting response.

It is much appreciated.

I shall shut up now :-)

Best wishes, and keep up the excellent work.

Mike
mikeout

Return to Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate