Forum for support for the Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate plugin

Moderator: Qbik Staff

KAV wish list

Postby Nev » Nov 14 04 10:57 pm

Hi all,

The plugin is being rebuilt from what I remember, would really like to see:

-Export / save to report file of scanning results
-Larger interface for scanning progress
-Right click system tray icon access to Scanning in the "Start / Stop Wingate Engine" pop out
-&or a Start Menu link to user scanning
-Self management of *.key files so as to be transparent for users to remain current as distinct from the Qbik issued licence that is.

Reason being home users find it difficult to access &or interpret the results of manual file and disk scanning.

Thank's.

Nev.
Nev
WinGate Guru

Postby mbmast » Nov 18 04 10:26 am

Let me add to Nev's great suggestions:

1. Definitely like the idea of a log file report (even if it's just the contents of the listbox displayed in the plug-in's dialog box).

2. A way to exclude files exceeding a given size from being scanned (too many gigantic Microsoft CHF files are being scanned).

3. A shell extension so that you can right click on a file in Explorer and choose "Scan for viruses."

4. When a virus is found in an Outlook file (outlook.pst), it would be nice to know which mailbox it's in (Inbox, Sent, Deleted, etc.), the date, subject, whatever else would be helpful to identity the email.
mbmast

Postby Nev » Nov 18 04 3:25 pm

mbmast wrote:Let me add to Nev's great suggestions:

1. Definitely like the idea of a log file report (even if it's just the contents of the listbox displayed in the plug-in's dialog box).

2. A way to exclude files exceeding a given size from being scanned (too many gigantic Microsoft CHF files are being scanned).

3. A shell extension so that you can right click on a file in Explorer and choose "Scan for viruses."

4. When a virus is found in an Outlook file (outlook.pst), it would be nice to know which mailbox it's in (Inbox, Sent, Deleted, etc.), the date, subject, whatever else would be helpful to identity the email.

Hi,

Yes thanks for that and especially about the location / source of eMail folder compound files with infection, although this is unlikely once Wingate & KAV is fully implemented it is a nice feature of the Kaspersky A/v reports to home right in on an infected message[s] to sanitise the folder.

File mask to exclude would be a handy feature for admins' too!

Thanks.

Nev.
Nev
WinGate Guru

Postby mbmast » Nov 23 04 7:50 pm

Here's one more for the wish list:

The ability to specify a list of drives to scan. Currently only one drive at a time can be scanned.
mbmast

Postby labull » Nov 23 04 11:52 pm

If I remember the early discussions correctly, WinGate AV was intended for Internet traffic scanning - not for the things commercial AV desktop products do.

I would think Qbik wouldn't want to get into a position where they would be competing with those products. That's not their core business.

While some polishing of the current AV would be nice, I'd rather they spend their time making their outstanding Internet sharing product even better.

Larry
WinGate Lurker
labull
WinGate Guru

Postby Nev » Nov 24 04 9:24 pm

labull wrote:If I remember the early discussions correctly, WinGate AV was intended for Internet traffic scanning - not for the things commercial AV desktop products do.

I would think Qbik wouldn't want to get into a position where they would be competing with those products. That's not their core business.

While some polishing of the current AV would be nice, I'd rather they spend their time making their outstanding Internet sharing product even better.

Larry

True Larry, but an A/v licence is an A/v licence, the more flexible it can be the better value it will appear to clients.

One of the cornerstone's I use as a 'pitch' to draw existing clients from conventional A/v software is that their system will get a new lease of life when this resident / persistant scanning burden is removed.

I personally loathe the time taken to deal with systems that have this model installed because of the latency it causes in disk requests [and network shares if improperly configured].

The pitch goes on, 'really the maximum risk is from the internet portal and KAV will take care of malware from this source' so to have limited skill users shown this massive benefit, will result in better market awareness for Wingate & KAV overall.

However the lead has been created by Qbik for a manual scanning interface and some users need to know how to 'prove' imported removable media in a simple and readily accessible method, this just not quite available in the current version, hence my comments above.

In fact I recall on instance this year where I 'sanitised' an whole organisation via KAV in the first Wingate installation at this location. The difficulty was extracting the scan results, manually writing them down and implementing them on the infected machines accurately.

So all round it's just 'going to get better' for Wingate users.

Cheers,
Nev.
Last edited by Nev on Nov 24 04 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nev
WinGate Guru

KAV Wishlist

Postby Nev » Nov 24 04 9:34 pm

Hi Pascal and all,

Actually today I was commissioning a new xDSL connection at one of my clients where recently two instances of Wingate are deployed.

What would be significantly useful if the other instance could be configured for a UNC path to the KAV bases.

Reason being it is on a private WAN and at present I have a scheduled task to copy the bases from Wingate 1 to the local folder then restart the engine after hours.

Pretty clunky but it is intercepting all the necessary malware even though it is up to 24hours behind in it's bases.

Is this possible?

Nev.
Last edited by Nev on Nov 27 04 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nev
WinGate Guru

Postby Pascal » Nov 24 04 10:13 pm

Larry's right though.

Some of those features will probably make it into the product. However - we are restricted by our licensing agreements (With the providers of the antivirus technology) in what we can do. (To not compete with our providers other products).

So for example:

A shell extension so that you can right click on a file in Explorer and choose "Scan for viruses."
Right click system tray icon access to Scanning in the "Start / Stop Wingate Engine" pop out
a Start Menu link to user scanning

those will most likely not be possible - because it goes 'outside' of WinGate's application and becomes competition for established products.

The primary focus remains as a gateway scanner - so some of the improvements will happen and we are taking note - but the goal is to make it protect your network as effectively as possible at the source.

Now I'm curious what the "oops" was for :-)
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby Nev » Nov 25 04 1:06 am

Pascal wrote:Larry's right though.

Some of those features will probably make it into the product. However - we are restricted by our licensing agreements (With the providers of the antivirus technology) in what we can do. (To not compete with our providers other products).

So for example:

A shell extension so that you can right click on a file in Explorer and choose "Scan for viruses."
Right click system tray icon access to Scanning in the "Start / Stop Wingate Engine" pop out
a Start Menu link to user scanning

those will most likely not be possible - because it goes 'outside' of WinGate's application and becomes competition for established products.

The primary focus remains as a gateway scanner - so some of the improvements will happen and we are taking note - but the goal is to make it protect your network as effectively as possible at the source.

Now I'm curious what the "oops" was for :-)

Hi Pascal,

Yes thought it would be 'along those lines' as for "oops" sometimes I am a bit "brain dead" when I come into the office from a hard day's slog around the farm and today was the end of Part II > annual shearing so I could end by hitting any buttons in error ;-)

Cya!
Nev.
Nev
WinGate Guru

KAV Wishlist

Postby Nev » Nov 27 04 4:28 pm

Hi Pascal and all,

Actually today I was commissioning a new xDSL connection at one of my clients where recently two instances of Wingate are deployed.

What would be significantly useful if the other instance could be configured for a UNC path to the KAV bases.

Reason being it is on a private WAN and at present I have a scheduled task to copy the bases from Wingate 1 to the local folder then restart the engine after hours.

Pretty clunky but it is intercepting all the necessary malware even though it is up to 24hours behind in it's bases.

Is this possible?

Nev.
Nev
WinGate Guru

Postby Pascal » Nov 27 04 5:17 pm

Yes, this is something I've done for the next release. Primarily because in some cases the bases could be shared between multiple instances of Kaspersky AntiVirus products.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Re: KAV wish list

Postby Nev » Aug 28 05 4:51 pm

Hi all,

An extra thought, it would be excellent it the plugin could notify the user / owner / dealer say two weeks from licence expiry.

Maybe a Scheduled task to a nominated email address would save on having to monitor client licences for expiry on a periodic basis, then worse stilll, missing one at a critical point.

I know that the 'System Messages' will alert someone who happens by the console, but in un managed situations this can result in an oversight quite easily, plus having a staff member monitor GateKeeper can be risky at best.
--
Nev.
Nev
WinGate Guru

Postby Nev » Nov 05 05 3:47 pm

Pascal wrote:Yes, this is something I've done for the next release. Primarily because in some cases the bases could be shared between multiple instances of Kaspersky AntiVirus products.

Hi Pascal,

Have had a good look around 2.0 and cannot readily see how to implement this for one situation.

Would a webserver [eg: simpleserver] be required / work or just a UNC path on the LAN ?
--
Nev.
Nev
WinGate Guru

Postby Pascal » Nov 05 05 7:05 pm

The "Bases" registry key should allow you to set where you want KAV to load the bases from. (From memory, at home at the moment)
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby Nev » Nov 13 05 2:40 pm

Pascal wrote:The "Bases" registry key should allow you to set where you want KAV to load the bases from. (From memory, at home at the moment)

Hi Pascal,

Thank you, works a treat!
--
Nev.
Nev
WinGate Guru

Return to Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate