Kapersky

Forum for support for the Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate plugin

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Kapersky

Postby greenala » Sep 23 10 4:33 am

Are there any plans to drop Kapersky and replace it with something that actually works? I'm having all sorts of issues with it:

It has 2 tasks running, each using 191MBytes of RAM!
It refuses to allow downloads larger than 130ish MBytes through (even when I turn it off for my user account). Try downloading Abode Lughtroom 3 to test; I only get 138Mbytes of ther 180 MByte file before kapewrsky decides it's had enough.
It lets viruses through anyway.

The only course of action open to me appears to deinstall the plugin completely.

UPDATE: That's it, I've had enough. It's coming off. I've had to revert to connecting to the internet directly to donwload the large file I want (which isn't infected by the way). KAV is rubbish.
greenala

Re: Kapersky

Postby adrien » Sep 23 10 8:24 pm

Hi

Sorry, I presume the date on this original post was prior to 23 september, so apologies for not responding sooner.

We have had some issues with the version of the Kaspersky SDK we've been using for a few years now. Basically it doesn't seem to cope with the enormous number of virus signatures.

To be fair to Kaspersky Labs, they have made several version updates since then, and we've been working with a much later SDK which performs a lot better (much smaller footprint). Currently this is in development for WinGate 6 and 7. There's a working plugin for WinGate 7 which you're welcome to try if you wanted to look at that.

Alternatively to get around the issue of scanning the larger files (sounds like you're running WinGate on an older computer with not so much RAM?) you can whitelist URLs / sites from being scanned by KAV.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby greenala » Sep 23 10 11:59 pm

Hi,

I'm running WinGate on a virtual server which has 1GByte of RAM allocated to it. Even with the enormous memory gobbling exhibited by KAV, I still have over 350MBytes free. The server running the Virtual machines has a quad core processor, 8GBytes of RAM and is running Windows 2008 server. I don't think power is the issue.

I have tried whitelisting sites and even disabling KAV all together for my account. All to no avail I'm afraid (KAV still stops any large downloads). Before I deinstalled it I even tried disabling the plugin for all users, but once again this had no effect.

Since all PCs that use the proxy have AV suites installed, I'm not sure what advatange I was gaining from the KAV plugin anyway, especially since the AV suite I use seems to detect viruses that KAV let through on occassions.

Other than the KAV plugin, I'm very happy with WinGate and now I don't have KAV installed my download speed is lightening fast. I just think you're being let down by it.

Cheers.
greenala

Postby adrien » Dec 22 10 1:17 pm

Hi

We've just released an update to Kaspersky AV based on a new scanning engine.

I would expect it to solve the problems you've had with the previous version. It will use your existing license, so there is no cost to update.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate