KAV 1.1 Plug-in: Licensing and scheduled updates

Forum for support for the Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate plugin

Moderator: Qbik Staff

KAV 1.1 Plug-in: Licensing and scheduled updates

Postby nicolatiana » Nov 13 03 7:51 am

Good morning

I've just purchased the renewal for KAV, receiving the new license key.
I've removed the old KAV 4.4.3 and then installed Wingate 5.1 and the new related KAV 1.1 plug-in.
The product seems working when tested with eicar.com
Two problems:

1) The license manager refuses to create the new KAV license profile with a message stating that no plug-in is installed or something like so.

2) I've not found an "update virus definition" scheduling feature in the plug-in configuration panel; is it hidden somewhere in registry or is a fixed feature not configurable ?

Regards

Nicola Tiana
nicolatiana

Postby labull » Nov 13 03 8:03 am

Nicola,

The update virus definition is scheduled in GateKeeper scheduler under

Run Update for Plugin

Larry
labull
WinGate Guru

Postby stanwoods » Nov 14 03 7:35 am

I have the same problem (2) you posted - sorry I posted my query under Wingate 5.1 forum because I installed the A/V as same time.I look forward to an answer on this.

Regards

Stan Woods
stanwoods

Postby labull » Nov 14 03 7:37 am

Stan,

Have you checked the Scheduler option?

Larry
labull
WinGate Guru

Postby stanwoods » Nov 14 03 7:38 am

Sorry! should have looked at the reply below this one for the answer.

However, how do we use this A/V plugin to automatically protect PCs on the network (eg. from floppy virus incursions) - I was led to believe we could - but cant see how with this product..

Regards

Stan Woods
stanwoods

Postby labull » Nov 14 03 7:39 am

I believe the Plugins are specifically for WinGate and the server it resides on only.

Larry
labull
WinGate Guru

Postby stanwoods » Nov 14 03 8:02 am

Larry, Many thanks for responses. I will need to find an alternative AV that can protect both server and client PCs - no point in buying two products to do this...

Could you look at my post under wingate forum - wingate 5.1 release, please - I would be most grateful.

Regards

Stan Woods
stanwoods

Postby erwin » Nov 14 03 10:13 am

Hi there Stan

Obviously with Kaspersky Antivirus for WinGate being a plugin, its main purpose is to scan all data streams, on the appropriately configured services that is entering or leaving the network, via the WinGate proxy server.
If your hoping to stop floppy borne viruses then you will obviously need to have an AV solution installed on all your client machines, so the floppy drive is automatically scanned anytime a floppy is entered.

I am not aware of any AV solution that will do this remotely, i.e. detect when a user is inserting a floppy, and scan that drive at that moment from another machine.

As an alternative you could always set the file/drive scanning option in Kaspersky AntiVirus configuration to scan these drives on demand as the plugin will scan drives and files both on the WinGate machine and across the network.

The updater for the Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate, can be actioned by pressing the "Plugin" button on the Gatekeeper menu bar and highlighting the plugin. You will then see the "update" button below illuminate and simply pressing on this will initiate an update of the AV.

Regards

Erwin
erwin
Qbik Staff

Postby stanwoods » Nov 14 03 9:54 pm

Many thanks.

However, the update issue is more serious. It has to be automatic, AV requiring manual updates today is not satisfactory. I understood from another posting that it now used the Windate scheduler to achive this.

Incidentally, I have tried the manual update, and while it "appears" to do something the last update date shown doesnt update beyond 22 Oct 2003.
Is this a bug I wonder?

Regards
Stan Woods
stanwoods

Postby labull » Nov 15 03 12:33 am

I update my AV every hour using the WinGate Scheduler.

Entry in System Messages of GateKeeper indicates it happens and Last Update show the current date.

Larry
labull
WinGate Guru

Return to Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate