KAV scanning hangs all other processes

Forum for support for the Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate plugin

Moderator: Qbik Staff

KAV scanning hangs all other processes

Postby corcoran » Nov 09 05 11:30 pm

we have a problem where when KAV is scanning outgoing SMTP mail; with multiple recipients, and a fairly big file, it seems to hang all other processes on the server - including www, which is REALLY annoying.

is this a 'feature'?
running Wingate 6.1 installed 09 November 05, running on windows 2003 server. Joy of Joys.
corcoran

Re: KAV scanning hangs all other processes

Postby Nev » Nov 10 05 1:36 am

corcoran wrote:we have a problem where when KAV is scanning outgoing SMTP mail; with multiple recipients, and a fairly big file, it seems to hang all other processes on the server - including www, which is REALLY annoying.

is this a 'feature'?

Hi,

You could disable it for SMTP / 'Plugins', after all I find if a network is clean, outbound scanning is 'guilding of the lily' with one exception, when some malware is found and executed by a user in an old eMail and or archive.
--
Nev.
Nev
WinGate Guru

Postby corcoran » Nov 10 05 1:40 am

yeah thought about it - i'm a bit of a pessimist though..
running Wingate 6.1 installed 09 November 05, running on windows 2003 server. Joy of Joys.
corcoran

Postby adrien » Nov 10 05 9:59 am

Hi

Outgoing mail ends up in the same mail processing queue as incoming, so you either scan both or neither.

However, there may be some relief, in that you can increase the number of scanning engines in your system. The default is 2 engines, which have a managed centralised queue. If there is a large file being scanned, it can hold up one of the engines, which forces all other scanning through the other one.

There is a registry key to increase the number of scanning engines.

The key is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Qbik Software\WinGate\Data Scanning Plugins\Installed\Kaspersky Antivirus for WinGate\

the value is called "Engines", it's a REG_DWORD. Default value is 2, try setting it to 4 or so. This is the number of kavss.exe processes that will then run.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby corcoran » Nov 10 05 10:30 am

does your missus complain about you talking in your sleep with this stuff?? a great tip, cheers chap.

definitely a safe option??
corcoran

Postby adrien » Nov 11 05 8:19 am

I think she's used to it by now :)

Basically with each engine, you get another 10MB of mem usage, and another process running. On most average machines nowadays 4 or even a fair bit more should pose no problem.... I guess we should probably increase the default value.

depending on loading however (i.e. lighter loads) some engines may not really end up being used because of the queueing system.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate