KAV decided to quit today - what now?

Forum for support for the Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate plugin

Moderator: Qbik Staff

KAV decided to quit today - what now?

Postby xwray » Nov 19 05 3:00 pm

When I checked my system log today I see a message from LICENSE MANAGER that says the license has expired or invalid. I also see where KAV successfully updated about 30 minutes earlier. Everything had been working flawlessly up to this point. Is there a problem with the latest update that might have caused this or might there be another key file that is now required. I tried downloading the eicar test file and whereas in the past I would get a messgae that KAV was blocking the infected file but now it downloaded OK so it really isn't working.

Just for grins I tried updating KAV and get a message saying it is unable to obtain an interface to KAV for Wingate.

Please help me get this resolved asap...no AV protection is not good!
<Smith & Wesson...the original point and click interface>
xwray

Re: KAV decided to quit today - what now?

Postby Nev » Nov 20 05 1:48 am

Yep, same here, however stop / start engine and it has cleared in the last 12 hours, tomorrow???

Plugin still would disk scan, didn't verify download filtering even though the syslog message said that the plugin would be unavailable due to the licence expiry, which still has 1½ months validity.
--
Nev.
Nev
WinGate Guru

Postby MattP » Nov 21 05 12:27 pm

Can you guys try updating the KAV license file? You can download it here
MattP
Qbik Staff

Postby Nev » Nov 21 05 9:04 pm

Hi Matt,

Key already present in Kaspersky Antivirus directory.

Actually isn't it the design of the plugin to manage this key without user intervention?

Reason being, I have clients all over the region and they don't understand why it might cost a callout to install 'more licencing' nor can they really cope to place the file where required.

BTW: Syslog messages quiet for now / no repeat at this stage.
Last edited by Nev on Dec 03 05 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Nev.
Nev
WinGate Guru

Postby xwray » Nov 22 05 4:07 am

Mine has started working again and I did not reload any key but I did do a manual update a couple of times. What's worrisome about this sort of problem is that the licensing architecture seems to be somewhat flaky and apparently take KAV off line. If I hadn't been looking at the system log I might not have noticed it and would have been unprotected for some indeterminate time. I don't have a problem with a software vendor taking steps to ensure that someone isn't using a pirated copy but when the licensing design can cause this sort of problem maybe it's time to look at a different design?
xwray

Postby adrien » Nov 22 05 10:50 am

Yeah, we have tried to get changes done, but Kaspersky Labs is unwilling to change their licensing system, and it isn't flexible enough for us to issue subscription keys properly, so we had to put our own one on top as well.

Since we are seeing more problems with it, I will try again to see if they will consider modifications.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

New problem?

Postby xwray » Nov 26 05 2:30 pm

Although KAV now seems to be working OK - no license issues - it hasn't been able to connect to the server for the latest updates since the 22nd...any idea when they will get it fixed?
xwray

Postby MattP » Nov 28 05 10:11 am

What OS are you running? Do you see any error messages in the WinGate system tab when you try to update?

We have a new version that fixes a problem for 9x clients, that should be ready this week.
MattP
Qbik Staff

Postby xwray » Nov 29 05 3:41 am

MattP wrote:What OS are you running? Do you see any error messages in the WinGate system tab when you try to update?

We have a new version that fixes a problem for 9x clients, that should be ready this week.

I'm running Win2K Pro with all updates. The only message in the system tab is words to the effect that an interface could not be established with the server.

Did KAV do something to break the system or am I the only one experiencing the problem....I ask because up until a few days ago when the license glitch occurred everything worked fine and I have changed nothing on the machine that Wingate is running on.

thanks
xwray

Postby Pascal » Nov 29 05 9:59 am

Would it be possible for you to do the following for me please:

Open a command prompt and change to the WinGate folder. (Normally C:\Program Files\WinGate).

From the command prompt run:

"dir /s > dir_structure.txt"

This will create a file called "dir_structure.txt" which I want you to email to me to the address that is listed in my profile. This will help to verify the correct files are all in the correct places and so forth.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby Nev » Dec 02 05 11:01 am

hmmm few too many...
Last edited by Nev on Dec 02 05 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
Nev.
Nev
WinGate Guru

Postby Nev » Dec 02 05 11:17 am

hmmm still few too many, delete me...
Last edited by Nev on Dec 02 05 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
Nev.
Nev
WinGate Guru

Postby Nev » Dec 02 05 11:23 am

Ok it's happened again and restarting Wingate this time hasn't cleared the fault, so some factor is behind this and I am 'off the air' for KAV at least, eicar test by proxy is not quarantined as one would expect.

Won't be upgrading any clients until this is stable, ooops, have already one on 6.1 x 2.0 out there...

--
Nev.
Nev
WinGate Guru

Postby Pascal » Dec 02 05 5:57 pm

The good news is we believe we have fixed this issue. There is a new build available through the download system (Kav 2.0.1) which should resolve it.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Return to Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate