Anti Virus Plug-in not catching e-mail viruses from our ISP

Forum for support for the Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate plugin

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Anti Virus Plug-in not catching e-mail viruses from our ISP

Postby jazzzz » Nov 30 03 4:59 am

account. I have the Anti-Virus plug-in enabled on both the POP3 and SMTP services in Wingate. I have the Anti-Virus plug-in preferences set to scan zipped files etc. I have outlook setup on my clients to go through my wingate server as I have both my POP and SMTP set to my wingate server 192.168.0.1 both in and out. What am I missing? Two client machines blocked a virus using Norton on those machines I thought any viruses would be blocked at the wingate server?

Do I need to make changes to the Email settings in System?
Life's a journey enjoy the ride...
jazzzz
jazzzz

Re: Anti Virus Plug-in not catching e-mail viruses from our

Postby Pascal » Dec 01 03 7:10 am

jazzzz wrote:Do I need to make changes to the Email settings in System?

No, you shouldn't need to do that. You are using the Kaspersky AntiVirus plugin ?

One thing to check is that you have the latest version of the databases installed. You can update them either through:

(a) the updater program (Available from Start->Programs->WinGate->Plugins->Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate)

(b) a scheduled event to update the antivirus databases

(c) selecting the appropriate plugin and clicking "Update" in GateKeeper
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Anti Virus Plug-in

Postby jazzzz » Dec 01 03 7:28 am

I am using the latest Anti-Virus Plug-in downloaded from Qbik. The old version had a scheduler the new version does not. Am I missing something here? I have a short cut on my desktop and run the update manually every morning.
jazzzz
jazzzz

Re: Anti Virus Plug-in

Postby Pascal » Dec 01 03 7:36 am

jazzzz wrote:I am using the latest Anti-Virus Plug-in downloaded from Qbik. The old version had a scheduler the new version does not. Am I missing something here? I have a short cut on my desktop and run the update manually every morning.

Ah, yes. The new version uses WinGate's built-in scheduler.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

New Version

Postby jazzzz » Dec 01 03 8:08 am

I downloaded Wingate, Antivirus Plugin and the replacement for Gatekeeper. AntiVirus Plugin will not accept my Deerfield Registration Number, which doesn't expire until March 18, 2004 now what do I do as I am told our Network is not protected I have an invalid key. You may e-mail me direct if you like? jsssoftware@jsssoftware.com
jazzzz
jazzzz

Postby adrien » Dec 03 03 11:17 pm

The Deerfield key was always issued by them, and only works with the VisNetic AV plugin... you will need to install this one.

Kaspersky AV for WinGate is a different product, and uses a different key system.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby saubrey » Dec 04 03 6:42 pm

I too am unsure if Visnetic AV plug-in is working correctly for POP3. I have manually updated Visnetic AV db today. Visnetic AV is correctly licensed. I have a Wingate POP3 proxy with TR of ENS thru POP3 proxy. I have AV plug-in enabled for sending/receiving for POP3 proxy. But Wingate AV plugin fails to catch W32.Mimail.L@mm virus...however client computer's Norton AV *does* catch it.

Sorry for being dense, but is my Visnetic AV license usable with the new Kapersnky AV? If not, is there a free conversion to a Kapersnky license? I don't really want to depend on Deerfield for the next 10 months for AV updates (when they have little incentive to do so), when it seems that Qbik will provide much better support.

Thanks, Steve
saubrey
WinGate Master

Postby adrien » Dec 04 03 9:33 pm

The Deerfield key is their own system, our product Kaspersky AV for WinGate uses our own keys, so the one you have for VisNetic AV (VAV) won't work in the Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate product.

We don't have permission from Kaspersky to offer a free cross-grade, however I think I will ask them since we are getting a few requests for this.

VAV users do qualify for a rebate on cross-grades at the moment, but it is only 30% so if you have 10 months left on your VAV key, you would be missing out.
adrien
Qbik Staff

Saubrey very good point and my thought exactly....

Postby jazzzz » Dec 05 03 2:53 am

being a programmer myself there is no way Deerfield will addresses our Anti Virus needs (no need or desire to they are peddling another product). Since I am in the US and there is no way on the Qbik site to purchase the KAV av that I can find where and how do I purchase it? I have 50 plus clients using the Wingate engine and I'll need to address them all also.

Exploring the KAV I read about the three license and the six license having a better scanning engine but it doesn't elaborate further. Adrien since you have a cult like following you can be our hero and get us Wingate junkies some help and free us from the Deerfield hold as we want to move to and stay with Qbik.
jazzzz
jazzzz

Postby labull » Dec 05 03 5:01 am

The reseller listed for the US is

http://www.ccsoftware.ca/

Larry
WinGate Lurker
labull
WinGate Guru

Return to Kaspersky AntiVirus for WinGate